Class

I was brought up to believe that we are divided socially into classes:

1.  Working class.

2.  Middle class.

3.  Aristocracy.

I also read decades ago that classes were less relevant and were disappearing.

I'm curious as to what others think so here are some questions:

1.  What class were you born into?

2.  What class are you now?

3.  Do you believe in 1 and 2?

4.  ie Do you think class exists?

5.  Do you think you can move class?

Also, without Googlerating, I'd be curious as to how these classes are defined.

I've tended to think of them as not only to do with our financial situation, but also to do with tastes, interests and education.

With regard to me, I was born working class and ?probably? still am.

Parents
  • As Class has recently been discussed elsewhere - 

1. Hard to say. My father's family were certainly 'working class' by any objective measure. My mother came from a middle income family - but again, her mother was from a poor background, although her father was not. 

I was brought up by my mother, for the most part, so perhaps I am 'middle class'. But I grew up in severe poverty, so am I? 

It's not so simple. 

2. Now? I don't know. I went to University, because I was interested in learning, not because I was joining a 'middle class' profession. Indeed, it wasn't clear to me then what I would do. Eventually I became a teacher, but that's hardly a prestigious career these days, you do it for the love.

So my profession doesn't make me any class. 

Then my mother died and as a surprise consequence, I ended up being a homeowner, which otherwise, I probably wouldn't have achieved. I wasn't expecting that at all, for various reasons.

Does that make me 'middle class'?

1. 3/4. I believe in inequality, the real inequality is money, above all else. Class, as it applies to the traditional model of 'working' and 'middle' or professional class, is largely a politically useful fiction which can be used to create imagined division. Divide and Conquer, or, Culture Wars, if you like.

Actually we're all subject to the same laws and will all be effected by what our government decides. But if we believe we're opposed to each other, we won't complain, we'll just blame the other side.

The upper class does exist, and despite several attempts to lessen their hold on society in the past, they cling on to their power and privilege- in fact aim to increase that still further.

5. As I don't really believe in it, in the traditional sense, no - but, you can gain more wealth, in which case your self-perception may change. 

• I believe in inequality, the real inequality is money, above all else.

Absolutely! 

Reply Children
No Data