Urge to infodump

Does anyone else feel the urge to infodump when they are in social situations? For example, tonight I went to a lovely raclette evening with some people from my church and a few people were wondering where raclette cheese came from and I just felt the urge to spend 20 minutes explaining all about how it was from Switzerland and all about Swiss food and how it relates to Swiss culture. 

Then someone else started talking about visiting Argentina and I felt the urge to spend 20 minutes discussing Juan and Eva Peron and the history of Argentina.

I have learned from past experience that infodumping like this does not tend to be socially acceptable so I stopped myself from doing it but just wondered if anyone else feels the need to do this sometimes, especially in social situations 

• Thanks to the hounds and their tireless handlers.

Thumbs up emoji!

• I do this too!! Just hadn’t realised until you mentioned it- and I am awful at telling when people get bored haha

• RELEASE THE HOUNDS..........please !!

• I used to have this urge also but it sort of died off in the end, partially because as you said it isn't considered socially acceptable and also because I'm more less mute now. Chronic anxiety has caused a severely sore throat that makes talking unappealing, not that I really enjoyed talking to be honest. I do miss info dumping though. I like to share my interests and educate people on them.

•  I have learned from past experience that infodumping like this does not tend to be socially acceptable so I stopped myself from doing it but just wondered if anyone else feels the need to do this sometimes, especially in social situations

I've found this as well though it hasn't stopped meSmiley 

I love sharing info on my favourite things and I think a lot of people do enjoy finding out new things, even if they don't realise it straight away.

So long as you enjoy it I say go for it! I can info dump on art and so frequently on a daily basis!

• I had that same issue, thankfully my [removed by moderator] father beat that out of me when I was a kid. I cannot fault him for that, infodumping is something that NT find EXTREMELY annoying. Aspies just cannot understand how annoying an infodump can be. NT have no interest in info that are not related to their survival or relevant to something they have in front of them. NT also have an attention span of about eight seconds. Being forced to listen to several minutes of monologue about something uninteresting is just torture..

• Absolutely.. In fact I believe info-dumping to be my only reliable-means of small-talk..

• If it's about health and diseases, classic cars and history then I can definitely info dump at any place at any time.

• yeah when im on the internet i can produce alot of text walls

• Sometimes sharing information can also help us connect with others from my location. You can try asking the other person if they want to listen and share briefly to avoid infodumping.

• Yep. It's like the perfect meeting ground of autism, ADHD, and OCD* is that impulse/compulsion to talk about subjects I know a lot about.
    *Some people only have one or two but not all of those, but I have a tough time picking apart which is responsible for what in my brain some days.

• I'm another silent infodumper. I don't have the confidence to say it out loud, except to my wife. I probably had too many negative experiences as a child (although as my infodumping there would have been largely about Doctor Who, maybe it's no surprise no one was interested). Although I don't know that I could spend twenty minutes talking even to my wife. I tend to favour brevity and concision.

• Switzerland is a really interesting place. Its very contradictory, a lot of rules but also a lot of freedom. There is actually towns called Emmentaller and Gruyeres where the cheese comes from! Apparently in Gruyeres the whole town is either cheese shops or resturaunts and bars sellling cheese dishes, sounds perfect to me. They have a really outdoor lifestyle as well which I admire

Cool! You are obviously very knowledgeable about cheese and Switzerland. I assume cheese is like a national dish in Switzerland.

Do you like cheese? You say you like the outdoor lifestyle, would you like to live in Switzerland? I am sure you would soak up the culture!

• Thank you! Argentina is a facinating country, Im especially interested in Juan and Eva Peron. I'm reading a biography of Eva Peron at the moment, she was an incredible woman. She came from poverty and ended up the first lady of Argentina but she never forgot other people in need. She had a foundation where people would come to her day and night for help and support. Its said she often used to only sleep 3 hours a night because she spent so much time in her foundation helping people

Switzerland is a really interesting place. Its very contradictory, a lot of rules but also a lot of freedom. There is actually towns called Emmentaller and Gruyeres where the cheese comes from! Apparently in Gruyeres the whole town is either cheese shops or resturaunts and bars sellling cheese dishes, sounds perfect to me. They have a really outdoor lifestyle as well which I admire

I think I would have said a bit more last night but it was my first time hanging out with these people so I was very nervous 

• I infodump during the worst times. 

I'm like Donny, from The Big Lebowski. 

• Alas, for I have no info to dump...

• Does anyone else feel the urge to infodump when they are in social situations?

Yes absolutely! I am sorry you stopped yourself from doing this when you just wanted to share your passion and knowledge . Our passions, knowledge and enthusiasm should be embraced not disregarded as ‘socially unacceptable ‘ just because info dumping is not part of the predominant communication style .

I don’t know much about Argentina or Switzerland, so feel free to info dump here! I very much look forward to learning more about your dedicated interests!