This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Queer community vigil/solidarity space

A trigger warning that I'm about to describe (briefly, not in detail) a recent transphobic hate crime to give context ,for this post. If you don't want to read about this, please skip the following paragraph.

On Saturday afternoon at around 3:30, the body of a 16-year old trans girl, Brianna Ghey, was found. She was murdered by two cis-gender 15-year olds. Vigils have been happening across the country in Brianna's honour, and very sadly I was unable to attend the one held this evening in my city. 

I'm thinking about opening up a regular online vigil space in which the queer community can share our griefs, fears, hopes, support and solidarity. For all sorts of reasons vigils held outside our homes or in noisy, crowded spaces may not be accessible to everyone who wants to attend. And I also think that a space in which more people from a wider diversity of geographical locations could be meaningful. If you're a member of the queer community, I would really value hearing how you would feel about this.

More generally, if anyone needs solidarity as a queer person in this harsh world or more specifically thi space, perhaps this thread could become a written space to share that.

Take care, all Rainbow

• Of course, and thanks for your understanding. I realise things get thrown around generally "cis people this" "cis people that" but it really is a case of "if the shoes fits" and if it doesn't then ofc you don't have to wear it. I don't take it personally myself when a black person lamments their ill treatment from a white person, I know it wasn't me, I don't have to get defensive, they can express their woes freely without it being about me.
    I think it's a shame more people don't realise this and end up derailing these spaces which are supposed to be loving and supportive.
    I quite agree btw I used be very against labels, and I still am "just a person", but I cam to realise that as you suggest the labels do have their uses. I wouldn't have been able to find my various communities otherwise.

• The thing is though, trans people don't want to be entirely defined by our genders. But the system fears and even hates us for them, and consequently makes us vulnerable. So we kind of have to acknowledge their significance. Also, we should (all of us) be free to celebrate the parts of who we are that matter most to us - it's not othering to enable this, nor to use the language that enables communities to form. There is much greater safety in group support and solidarity than there is in being alone as one of the most vulnerable, othered humans in this world.

Respectfully, I ask that we keep this thread as safe a space as possible. If you feel threatened by anyone in the queer community simply because of this aspect of their identity, this is not the right discussion for you, as it's not intended for debate. I made it as a space to share that  mutual support and solidarity I mentioned. Please respect this. 

• Thank you, Sam, for the source. I don't really understand the hostility from other cis people on this one- to me, when I say "I'm cis" I mean "my gender identity is the same as the sex I was assigned at birth" and it's just one of the many bits of shorthand I use to tell people who I am. It's context, that's all, just like when I say "I'm queer" or "I'm autistic".

• "The prefix “cis-” comes from the Latin meaning “on this side,” as opposed to “trans-” which means “on the other side of” " - https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/history-general-science/word-cisgender-has-scientific-roots

You are not suddenly being othered just because you have a "new" descriptor. If you do feel othered then please tell me how much more oppressed that makes you feel than the transgender people who globally experience hatecrime daily, and make sure to include the last time someone was murdered specifically for being cis. Also since I'm sure you don't want to argue in bad faith, be sure to include a link to a verified mainstream source with actual journalism, not just some conspiracy theory spouting alt right propoganda blog.
    Or you could do the even better thing and not make this space of transgender mourning about you and your feelings as a cisgender person over a word.

• i dunno it sounds like [removed by mod] speak for my group and your group, but in a way in which the label for the other group you speak of with bile as if its a dirty word. i just prefer everyone being human myself really, and as humans they are equal. no one should be grouped or segregated off based on any identity, as these are very small things to identify people as that dont make up their personality at all... i mean if [removed by mod] makes up their entire personality than they are in trouble and have a severe lack of character as that should only be like 0.0001% of who you are as a person, not the entirety of a identity. its a bit shallow when its the entire identity.

Edited by mod

• And murdered by children too. I so much wish we could rest our hopes on a safer, fairer future, but these kinds of events make that seem like a naïve fantasy. I shouldn't feel naïve for wanting and trusting that things can get better - yet so much of the time that is how the world makes it feel. 

• Exactly. Thank you so much. It scares me, this use of one marginalised group as scapegoats for the pain of another. It's unbearably unjust, and it's an excuse not to address the patriarchy, which is the real threat to women's rights. Brianna deserved to be valued and celebrated, as we all do. Her existence in this world was itself a mark of fierce courage. I wish those in power would honour their responsibilities to create a safer world. We entrust them with this, and trust is a gift to be cherished - it's painful to watch it constantly being hurled against walls that shouldn't be there.

• Cis just means not trans. It's not a division- at least, it shouldn't be. It's just a description.

• I live in a big city, I get to see and hear too many incidents similar to this. Sadly  I’m still regularly surprised and disappointed when hate crimes take place, I really do not understand any of them. 
    If people look hard enough with out prejudice they will find there is enough space for everyone just to be.
    these are very unpleasant times to have to grow up in. 

people who are how we are seem to be much better at acceptance especially towards all diverse lifestyles. 

• i dont know what cis is but it sounds another layer of division so i dont subscribe to that idea, a human is a human, no need for divisions, unity fixed these issues anyway.

no human should kill another human unless formally at war with the other humans nation and that human being a enemy combatant, its barbaric and uncivilised otherwise.

• I tell my children to be themselves, and in a world that throws about "be your authentic self" as the way to self-love, how then can children be murdered for doing just that. A child who had her whole life ahead of her, killed for being her authentic self, I have no words to express how wrong that is.

• Indeed. Thank you, Luftmentsch. It's hope-inspiring already to see allies getting involved with this thread - we can't do this on our own.

• It's awful what happened to her. She just wanted to be her real self. As a cis queer woman it makes me feel sick that people spreading the transphobia that got Brianna killed claim to be protecting people like me from people like her. No. They're not. She was a child, and she was loved, and she should still be here.

• I'm not queer, but no one should be murdered for being who they are.

• Yes, exactly. Brianna was and is both.

• I can't imagine what it must have been like to see that. I don't have an image of her in my mind, which means I guess that I see her as symbolic. And she is, of course, but she's also real and I need to remember that. We all do. We need to keep her real.

• It was so painful, in retrospect, to see the photograph of Brianna smiling and looking happy.