Are there things you just 'don't get' in life? (as in understand the rules of)

Thanks to  in another thread (root beer) I've been thinking of the many things I've just 'not got' and done wrong.

Usually the clue that I'm not 'getting it' is the look of wonder on the faces of other people.

I'm suspecting now this may be autism related.

There are countless examples during my life but here a few.

McDonalds: I don't really understand McDonalds and I don't spend time in them without another person.

My mum used to like them so I'd take her there for lunch sometimes.

One of the 1st times she asked me to collect a menu for her and some cutlery.

I couldn't understand why these weren't on the table.

So, I went to the counter and asked for these things.

After this initial trauma, I then had the trauma of trying to understand what you are supposed to eat off of and with.

Doh.

McDonalds is a particular thing with me I think.

I was with my autistic friend on our way back from visiting his mother and we went to a McD.

He asked me to get him a 'root beer'.

So, I asked for such at the counter only to be asked what that is.

I said 'I don't know' so no root beer was presented to my friend.

Doh.

Another prime example is going to a spa and swimming baths in a hotel.

I'm not a swimmer or a spa goer.

So, the 1st thing I did was put my make-up on before going there.

Then, I couldn't understand how the lockers worked and had to get assistance.

Then, I eventually found the toilets but couldn't find my way back to the swimming pool so I walked through reception soaking wet in my swimming costume.

I was also in a church once when a service began and loads of people sat around me.

I had gone in there because I was in a strange city and cold and was using the church as a refuge.

I thought I could just sit there whilst the service took place.

I hadn't anticipated communion and although I'm not a Catholic or a church goer, and although I didn't understand what I was doing, I felt obliged to follow everyone up and take communion. 

There are so many examples I won't continue.

Is it just me or are there other people here who just don't 'get it?'.

Parents
  • I don't get life in the general sense.

Why are we brought in to the world only to have to go through rubbish things like school and bullying, then work for little reward, watch parents die and then die ourselves?

I lie awake at night (thank you, insomnia) and wonder about this.

Sorry if I sound bitter.

Not intentionally trying to get up people's noses.

Just sad.

• I think I've felt like that on and off for a long time now.  When I was seven, following a death in the family, I tried to console my mother by telling her that I would never die.  Of course, she gently explained to me about death and everyone dying eventually, mostly, she explained, when they were very old and tired of life anyway.  But I became upset too and asked, "Why did you have me if you knew I was only going to die?"

In other words, I don't like the terms and conditions of life either.  If only we could read the small print before incarnating!

• I agree. But i would add that human civilization is improving all the time and can still be improved..  Although it might not seem like it whilst you are in amongst the muck, mire and brutality of it all.  I'm just setting things in their historical context. EG Our children are no longer forced to work as Chimney Sweeps.

• We certainly don't.  Our formative years are incredibly influential on us and the paths our lives will take.  Which is why bringing back an improved version of SureStart will be so important. But i digress.

• I'm finally catching up with this thread quick before I head back out and I have to say I'd much rather have had someone like Eureka O'Hara read me a book as a kid than say...  Mr Blobby.
    Oh apparently I'm not the only one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97fw8xjB5u4

• We never really leave the past behind do we x

• In the 1990's i could not admit what i was even to myself.  I was a troubled teenager at the time.  I am still greatly repressed by my upbringing.

• I'm pleased to hear that.

When I was a teenager in the 70s discussing your sexuality (if you weren't straight!) was a difficult thing to do and you had to choose who you revealed yourself to with great care, because of huge prejudice.

Families fell apart because of it.

• At least nowadays there is more openness and in some sectors of society, more acceptance of difference than when we were growing up.

There's a lot of acceptance these days, it's good, encourages people to be themselves and be happy.

Even the staff on my ward accept my autism and the fact I'm Bi. No judgement. It's nice.

• I agree with some paragraphs but disagree with others.

• Like being forced to consider weird and unnatural stuff from an early age, like "Drag Queen story time". The peak achievement in this area are the record numbers being talked into genital mutilation at an early age in some places, a process that statistically carries with it a high risk of great unhappiness and a vastly increased suicide risk.

A few things I want to say in response to this:

1. Drag queen story hours are essentially just an entertainer in an elaborate costume reading a story in a public place, during the day, where other adults are present. It's no more weird than taking a kid to the pantomime.
    2. Transition for children is entirely social. Nobody is performing genital mutilation on those children. If genital sutgery on minors is something you're worried about, that worry would be best reserved for certain cultural practices and and any surgeries for intersex children that aren't necessary for their health.
    3. The high suicide rates associated with being trans are greatly reduced when people have the resources and support they need to transition. Much like the high suicide rate in autistic people, the problem isn't who somebody is, but how they are treated in a world that doesn't understand.
  • Like being forced to consider weird and unnatural stuff from an early age, like "Drag Queen story time". The peak achievement in this area are the record numbers being talked into genital mutilation at an early age in some places, a process that statistically carries with it a high risk of great unhappiness and a vastly increased suicide risk.

A few things I want to say in response to this:

1. Drag queen story hours are essentially just an entertainer in an elaborate costume reading a story in a public place, during the day, where other adults are present. It's no more weird than taking a kid to the pantomime.
    2. Transition for children is entirely social. Nobody is performing genital mutilation on those children. If genital sutgery on minors is something you're worried about, that worry would be best reserved for certain cultural practices and and any surgeries for intersex children that aren't necessary for their health.
    3. The high suicide rates associated with being trans are greatly reduced when people have the resources and support they need to transition. Much like the high suicide rate in autistic people, the problem isn't who somebody is, but how they are treated in a world that doesn't understand.
Children
No Data