What defines your autism?

There's another question that sprang to mind this morning.

What defines your autism?

I have noticed that most of the posts on the forum appear to be about our vulnerabilities.

So, is our autism defined by our vulnerabilities?

Certainly the sensitivities and communication difficulties can make us more vulnerable to stress and isolation.

Any positives anyone?

I'm still thinking about that one.

There is a lot of food for thought once we have obtained recognition either personally or professionally.

Parents
  • What defines my autism? 

Obvious things like social difficulties, intense interests and repetitive behaviour.

I am new to this and am still thinking about what else may define my autism. I feel that I can communicate with animals and they do seem to like me so maybe it's true, I don't see why not. It's hard to explain to people who can't do it, they just think you're a bit odd! I am not religious but think that all living things have a soul, or being - not sure what to call it - and that ultimately we're all made from the same stuff so perhaps we should be able to communicate with each other! 

A bit sidetracked there. I like animals and nature, I feel part of the living world far more than society and actually that's ok. I like my analytical brain and intense focus most of the time, it allows me to see and learn things that others miss. Sometimes analyzing everything constantly can be exhausting and I wish I could switch it off! 

• What defines my autism? 

Obvious things like social difficulties, intense interests and repetitive behaviour.

I am new to this and am still thinking about what else may define my autism. I feel that I can communicate with animals and they do seem to like me so maybe it's true, I don't see why not. It's hard to explain to people who can't do it, they just think you're a bit odd! I am not religious but think that all living things have a soul, or being - not sure what to call it - and that ultimately we're all made from the same stuff so perhaps we should be able to communicate with each other! 

A bit sidetracked there. I like animals and nature, I feel part of the living world far more than society and actually that's ok. I like my analytical brain and intense focus most of the time, it allows me to see and learn things that others miss. Sometimes analyzing everything constantly can be exhausting and I wish I could switch it off! 

Children
No Data