Reading, writing and English comprehension with autism

Long time autism user, first time caller. 

Turns out I'm an adult who got a (very) late autism diagnosis. And on that spectrum, suffers massive difficulties in reading and comprehension. Newspaper headlines make no sense to me. Never passed an English exam et cetera et cetera et cetera...

I've not had much success or help with my autism (or as my autism puts it having to put up with me) . You contact the NAS - who tell you to contact local autism authority, who in turn tell you to contact the local council who in turn tell you to contact NAS And around we go... Sound familiar, to any one? 

I can easily spiral this into the lack of help for adults with autism, but I'm sure I can do that later.

With the exception of (expensive) private tuition I haven't found any leads for help for adults looking to improve or overcome barriers in English comprehension. "if you've not figured it out by now you never will" being the general census of thinking. If I've written this then what help do I need? The irony of trying to find help with comprehension on a bulletin board is not lost on me.

I enjoy reading, but since my diagnosis and realisation that I "ain't reading it right"* and maybe misunderstanding a great deal, my interest has fallen dramatically and I think I've managed to actually finish three books in the last two years. Whereas unfinished books number about seventeen.

Where do we go now?

NAS83147

*#IFYKYK

Parents
  • Your English written comprehension seems much better than a big percentage of people that I have encountered in my life. Some of whom have University degrees.

Not being able to process spoken or written word is very common along with being extremely tricky with autism. This was especially the case with the latter with me before the common usage of emojis. Spoken word, especially instructions regarding tasks that I personally find very difficult to process. I usually note them all down in my iPhone. As in general spoken conversation I rely a lot on facial reactions. A lot of the conversation tends to me going off on a tangent anyway.  JoyJoy

• Your English written comprehension seems much better than a big percentage of people that I have encountered in my life. Some of whom have University degrees.

Not being able to process spoken or written word is very common along with being extremely tricky with autism. This was especially the case with the latter with me before the common usage of emojis. Spoken word, especially instructions regarding tasks that I personally find very difficult to process. I usually note them all down in my iPhone. As in general spoken conversation I rely a lot on facial reactions. A lot of the conversation tends to me going off on a tangent anyway.  JoyJoy

Children
No Data