How do you cope with exhaustion?

I'm into my older years now so suffer from tiredness anyway but I find myself exhausted more often and I'm sure it is the autism. I'm interested to hear how you cope with this? I found it stops me doing the things I want to do and I end up sleeping more. It's frustrating because I really want to do things but I can't because of the exhaustion.

• That's a good article, my experience has been very similar - particularly going to the doctor about tiredness over and over and never getting a proper diagnosis or anything that helps, and the digestive problems.

• I was reading an article about autism and exhaustion earlier today! I have mild chronic fatigue, which may actually just be autistic fatigue. I hate it, because it's meant all through my 20s (I'm now 30), I was unable to do the stuff my peers were doing, because I was tired all the time - and still am. I can only work a couple of days a week. I cope with it by really pacing myself and rationing what energy I do have, and having at least half an hour lying down per day, usually in the afternoons - I can't nap, but I like to do a guided yoga nidra relaxation. I need a huge amount of down time, and so spend a lot of time by myself doing things like reading or knitting.

Here is the article I mentioned:

medium.com/.../if-fatigue-was-in-the-diagnostic-criteria-of-autism-being-tired-all-the-time-might-suck-slightly-b5267d690967

• I don't cope with it. I'm physically incapable of napping. Having a full time job drains all my energy and I basically feel exhausted the whole time and then sleep at the weekend, but it means I never do anything and my life is slipping by. I wish I didn't have to work.

• I'm sorry you get this. It's an issue for me as well. 

I do what Martin does,

take naps throughout the day,

that helps give me more energy and keeps me going until bed.

You could also try doing things that are less tiring

Or do the same things but take frequent breaks.

And having you time where you sit back and chill out might help as well.

• It's always been an issue for me. I think it is the autism too. I have two tactics that work for me - one is to take a 10 - 15 minute nap during the day. That's luckily all I need to regain some energy. The other, when I am motivated enough, is to go for a run. I have found that on days when I exercise I am much less tired. What I have found doesn't help me at all is getting into a cycle where I go to bed earlier, as that doesn't help (in fact it's one of the signs of depression kicking in). But of course we are all different.