Job interviews that didn't go well

I thought others might be interested in sharing their experience of job interviews.

I am in the lucky position now of not having to work but I found it very hard in the past to get a job because I found the interviews so wholly traumatic.

In fact, the last years of my working life I worked for agencies because then I didn't need an interview.

Possibly the  worst:  I was being interviewed as a secretary for a Church of England Cathedral.  I was asked 'what part do you believe that the Church of England plays in the lives of ordinary people today?'.  My reply was that I feel it is irrelevant to the majority of people, who only really find it relevant at Easter, Christmas, Weddings and Funerals.

I knew immediately that although I spoke as I felt it was completely wrong and I should have lied.  Their faces dropped and I think they would have liked me to leave the room immediately.

Now I understand why I spoke as I felt in the light of my autism diagnosis.  I find saying what people expect/want me to say very difficult, despite many decades of 'masking'.

Job interviews (and jobs) are a huge test of a person's social skills and their ability to dissimulate, I think.

Does anyone else have a story to share?

Parents
  • its true though... and the only way the churches can save themselves and be relevant in the future is get with  the times and accept this truth, only then can they think outside their old fashioned box and come up with a way to make the church relevant again... they need to think that a church was just a social gathering and center of a villiage, that position was taken by pubs....if churchs want to be relevant again they need to sorta become pubs or clubs and rebrand that way to reclaim their position as the center of lives villiages and social gatherings. their attitude is why churchs are dying. they should listen to people like you whod tell them the truth.

• its true though... and the only way the churches can save themselves and be relevant in the future is get with  the times and accept this truth, only then can they think outside their old fashioned box and come up with a way to make the church relevant again... they need to think that a church was just a social gathering and center of a villiage, that position was taken by pubs....if churchs want to be relevant again they need to sorta become pubs or clubs and rebrand that way to reclaim their position as the center of lives villiages and social gatherings. their attitude is why churchs are dying. they should listen to people like you whod tell them the truth.

Children