Autism Burnout

A video on Autism Burnout (fatigue) from the Pete Wharmby, a great autistic speaker and writer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNDQ2glqHj8

All the internal and external factors autistic people face can take its toll over time - mentally worn down from masking, enduring difficult situations, anxiety about the present/future, trauma from the past, and then non-autism things that life throws at you.  It is good to be aware of it, even if its not happen to you know it might in the future.

It is not well researched or understood, so getting help for it is difficult, but like any fatigue its a good idea to be kind to yourself, mentally and physically.

If you aren't familiar with Pete then watch his other videos if you can.

• Yes, it can feel like that, the world happening around us but we just aren't able to really connect and interact like we once did.  I've always felt stuck in my head, but it become worse than that - like faded, not fully in reality.  Not great.  But I turned to self-development and mindfulness and eventually climbed to a better place, but still work to do.  I've just completed a course to return to work, it was tough to focus, I had to push myself through it, but I got there and feel better for it - though drained, probably still burnout but not as bad.

Important to rest the mind, and body, have a break from thoughts and triggers.

• It does help to realise that offers struggle with it, and even though its not really that understood that means as a community we can share about it explore what might help with it.

• Yes, thank you. I relate. His little man with the hood over the head... I hit that state and described it in terms of looking at life but not feeling it any more, like I was looking at all my passions and the people I love through a frosted pane of glass, while I remained paralysed and unable to participate any more. And no, I've not been the same again.

• Im watching this now. I have been going through burnout for the last few months and Im finding this video very helpful. Thank you