Coping with news

I am really struggling to deal with all the anxiety inducing stuff in the news. Every time I walk past a newsstand I have to turn my head the other way. 
If I ever see a headline I just meltdown. Yesterday I borrowed my wife's phone and a news update about Covid  popped up while I was in the queue in Starbucks. I had a complete meltdown back in the car and nearly smashed my head on the dashboard. 
I started being scared of news during the endless Brexit debates, where everyone just seemed to hate each other, but Covid has made this explode like a mushroom cloud. I cannot cope with seeing Covid news but I also cant cope with the uncertainty of not knowing it.

What I would really like to know is does anyone on here have any coping techniques for dealing with news and media and stuff like this? Please share anything that works for you as it might be useful for me

( Just to be clear, pleas dont have any debates about Covid, Brexit or anything else, thats not what Im interested in, just needed some coping techniques)
Thanks 

Parents
  • Also stop your partner/ family watching the news in the morning. My husband used to switch on the news first thing every day and we'd get bombarded by the horrors. I asked and asked him to stop but he wouldn't, then we realised it was affecting our primary age daughter. She was getting very anxious and having meltdowns so at last my husband paid attention. Now he watches Antiques Roadshow and things like that in the morning.

• Wish my family would listen, my parent's response was "we wish you'd let us make up our own minds." But I can see that it has made them much more anxious and they always tell us of the horrors of the days' news even if we don't want to know!

I worked in news for 9 years, all the big names. Journalists have meetings each morning where they discuss the stories of the day, then, realising that they have only covered disasters or similar negative 'news' they bolt a so-called 'positive story' onto the end.

So it's not really a holistic overview of world events that we are being fed, merely a playlist of journalism's most attention-grabbing catastrophes

Avoidance = relief.

• journalism's most attention-grabbing catastrophes

UK if not also world press. Watching a car crashed as you pass it = modern news = news crash.

Reply Children
No Data