Random question but why do middle class people pretend to be working class when there not

I know a few and it's really annoys me for some reason no idea why it greats on me either being from a middle class back ground myself but unedcuated so have to do a working class job when I do get back into one. Think id discribe myself as mudle class. I say be proud of your class and hertige why hide it out of fear or embrasment no matter what class you are and those who denigh there even is a class system are usually the ones who hate people for there class.

• The problem with ministers not knowing any science is an old one, detailed by CP Snow in The Two Cultures.

The Guardian produces supplements by and for teachers, so it's no wonder they read it.  Rights and responsibilities are usually said to go together, indeed as far as they're real, I guess responsibilities are derived from (positive and negative) rights.

• Yes, some people refer to upper working class and I can see that. Your leap to what middle class looks like to you is quite a leap though!!! Second home as a middle class person?! 

• Who knows anything, these days?

Schools have become talking shops for Guardian-Reading Teachers who try to be Trendy. Whenever I attended an Employability Programme, I was subject to the Post-Modern Balderdash about 'Diversity', 'Rights' and 'Consumer Protection'.

Everything's about Rights, rather than Responsibilities, these days.

• As a working class man I would see you from your description as a upper working class. Middle class you would have a second home for the Summer and 6 vacations a year.

• I say to that

just because they do it doesn't mean I have to

and so I don't and I stay nice

• I don't know how to be anything but nice and kind. It ensures I get walked over and treated badly. But I'm too nice to turn evil. Well not often anyway, lol.

Yes, all those ministers are just in their jobs because of who they know, aren't they...

• Keep at it.  Being nice and kind, I mean.  What you 'offer' is not a 'service'.

Everyone is capable of seeing beyond appearance, 'popularity' and status.  The people who regularly start with that unconditional regard are still around and we can all encourage more of it.

The 'who you know, not what you know' is something else to challenge. I read a comment by Prof Brian Cox the other day that he couldn't recall a (science) minister who knew any science (I found Alok Sharma had studied electronics, but just about the only one in 40 years).

• Right, most people are working class.  John Lennon: 'You think you're so clever and classless and free, but you're still effing peasants as far as I can see.'

The remainder are 'the 1%', or rather the 0.1%, who have disproportionate influence.  See also Danny Dorling.

• Sad isn't it, we have so much to offer others.

I'm sure in the past being a nice person ensured I had friends. I used to have lots of friends when I was a teenager and in my 20s and I got on fine. It's just as time has passed, being a nice person doesn't mean anything anymore. It's all about connections and providing a service, as I said above.

• That's very true and exactly the same for me.

• The worlds as you say becoming a popularity contest and becoming a world where if you have no connections then you won't be going anywhere.

You hit the nail on the head.

I think that explains my life too. I have no connections in life...therefore I have no friends because no one sees me as worthwhile to waste their time on. Being a nice person doesn't cause us to have friends or be popular anymore. You have to have lots of connections and be able to provide a service to other people if you want friends.

• I totally agree but these days it's also about having connections, People in the government do favors for each other, It's sadly like that in a lot of jobs, it really isn't anything new and has been going on for decades. That's how MPs get into the jobs they do even when they have no experience whatsoever in the field that they're going into. It's all about who you know and it's honestly sad and if something goes wrong because of this they'll "leave" (with a fund they'll help them out) or get fired but what this actually means is that they'll just get a new job away from the public eye which is disgraceful. The worlds as you say becoming a popularity contest and becoming a world where if you have no connections then you won't be going anywhere.

Sad to see and It'd be great if it could change but it doesn't look like it will anytime soon.

• It's like that these days anyway. I think in the past people had to have experience of things to make decisions. The world is becoming one big popularity contest, people don't care about character traits of honesty, bravery, truthfulness etc. anymore.

• who makes decisions on earth? winners of popularity contests, no school, or experience required

• I'm just reminding people that when they blame schools for everything they do wrong, they're just following the orders of the government. If there are problems, it is the fault of the government, not the individual schools.

I don't know why the government keeps changing the rules and reviewing education. Why can't they find a method that works, and stick with it? Not change every year. They won't see the results of education for years anyway as it takes time to show in adults. If they change rules constantly they will never know what's best.

And also, who exactly runs the Department for Education?? Are they experienced teachers who have worked in education for years? Nope. They're random MPs who have no experience of teaching and education whatsoever. They've been to public schools which are totally different to the schools most 'normal people' go to...

• Department for Education. Schools are just following the government's orders, which keep changing. Education is constantly having reviews and changes, and schools are trying to keep up with them.

Which in my opinion is a good thing.

I went to school in the 60s and 70s when local authority schools were not inspected or had government departments overlooking them.

The schools I went to were awful, primary sink schools with very little education, just violence and bullying.

Then the special school I attended in 1973 was for children in the age range five to fifteen.  It was pleasent and relaxed, but it had zero academic curriculum, no one took exams, no actual teachers.  I dread to think what happend to pupils who spent more than a year there.  They must have left totally illiterate.

• Remember though, it's not schools which set the curriculum. It is the government and the Department for Education. Schools are just following the government's orders, which keep changing. Education is constantly having reviews and changes, and schools are trying to keep up with them.

• The Industrial Revolution was a double-edged sword. For all our advancement, the payback was Trade Wars. Then, along came taxation and regulation to the Nth degree.

For every inch of progress, there was a greater recoil. 

• People also tend to be more friendly and polite in the country.  When hiking, complete strangers say a smiling hello to me  in small villages.  No stranger says hello to me in the city streets, if I said hello to a complete stranger in an urban street, I would risk a confrontation and possible violence.

• Sao Paulo? That's very specific!

We definitely need healthier lives these days.