Does anyone else struggle to cook?

Does anyone struggle with cooking?

I’ve been trying to lose a bit of weight and thought that cooking fresh meals instead of having microwave/ready made meals would be better for me - but when it comes to cooking I really struggle to follow instructions and when I do and come to eat the food it’s not very nice.

For example, I was recently using one of those “Maggi cook in a bag” and it asks for 100ml of water for a meal that they say serves 4 but as it was just me eating the meal I would (after being told/snapped at by my mum) need to quarter it - i didn’t realise this and it has since meant having to cool more food.

The best way to describe it is that my brain likes to read and re-read the instructions but when it comes to doing them, I completely forget/don’t realise I’m doing it wrong - I do have dyslexia too so maybe it could be just that?

I’m still yet to be diagnosed but wondered if this was something other people experienced.

• There's a reason I cook and don't bake. I hate following instructions, so I combine things that seem to make sense, taste it and guess ehat I need to change.

• I can cook a few low-brow things. However, I find it a chore; rather than something I enjoy.

I made curry, for dinner, after slow-cooking a chicken yesterday. This evening, I simply added boiled rice and mayflower curry powder.

• Cooking is difficult for me. I'm always overthinking it and when I'm cooking I'm constantly checking everything and it usually ends up going wrong and then I have a meltdown.

I'll normally settle for a sandwich or some fruit. Soup is easy to cook though sometimes I leave it too long and it ends up burning. 

I try to do everything all at once and I think it's too much to process. My mind can only focus on one thing at a time. 

• in modern day britain microwave cooking is usually the normal standard cooking now

• Just like me.

Without an air fryer or microwave I would be visiting a takeaway every evening.

Unfortunately according to the DWP and the PIP assessors being able to put food in a microwave and knowing how to turn it on, counts as being able to cook.

• Yes. Can't cook won't cook. I've always been like that.

• some people have it as a special interest.

there is a great show called "Please Like Me" out of Australia.

the main character is autistic and his main interest is cooking.

I for one have learned to cook about 7 things and just do those over and over.

Every day of the week has it own meal over and over.

• I can only really use a microwave and the air fryer. I struggle to read and understand cooking instructions on packets and everything, I sometimes just put chips in the air fryer and then maybe beans in the microwave, I don't feel comfortable with a cooker or an oven, 

• Yes.

I find there's so much going on that I get overwhelmed when I cook so generally I stick to ready meals or sandwiches. Something quick and easy.

• I'm really bad at it at the best of times. Generally that just manifests in things looking a mess or being a little overcooked but one time I was trying to cook a jacket potato and it burst into flame for no reason I could figure.

Right now eating is really difficult and I mostly want to not think about it, so my limit is pretty much things that require little or no attention beyond boiling water or stirring something.

• I've no idea how to cook lol. If my mum didn't make me my food I'd die of starvation LaughingFace palmFace palm♀️

• Hello there! Although this post is old, I still wanted to share my thoughts. Cooking can definitely be a challenge, especially if you're trying to make healthier meals from scratch. Don't worry, you're not alone in struggling to follow instructions. It can be tough to remember all the steps, especially if you have dyslexia. One thing that might help is finding recipes with pictures or videos to guide you. I've found a couple of good recipes on can-you-microwave-this.com. Where do you guys find your best receipers, btw? Waiting for your replies!

• I prefer to cook plain simple food instead of following recipes. E.g. a favourite meal is to put rice in a pan with plenty of boiling water and some chopped vegetables and leave it to simmer for 20-30 minutes. Sometimes I add canned beans or tofu.

• Maybe you just don't know how to cook well. I often cook and my friends like it. But it's hard for me to try a cooked dish. It is easier for me to eat what others cook. But after I went keto, I needed to cook for myself. My friend doesn't eat meat, and she says tofu https://www.amazon.com.au/TofuBud-Tofu-Press-Presser-Drainer/dp/B086Q4TRG8. And it tastes very similar to meat. I really like it. She gave me the recipe and instructions, but I'm used to adding something of my own to the dish. So often, my keto meals taste better than those of seasoned vegetarians.

• I cook a lot of stir fries - there’s no set recipe and it’s really easy. Have you tried that? It’s really quick too, and really healthy because you cook everything really fast. You just throw it all in - harder veg first, softer veg later. Easy peasy ! 
    maybe check out one recipe first but after that you can just adapt it any way you want - no recipe, no rules, no stress :) 

• Haven't eaten anything in 3 day's

• I usually ask for something to cook for me, and my wife doesn't mind helping with that at all. She coordinates me and makes sure I don't overdo it, so it tastes good. We usually look for recipes at eatdelights.com because it tells me every little detail of what I need with my condition. Even though I'm bad at cooking alone, I still enjoy it because I feel inspired. I try to improve every time, and my wife praises me for these attempts. I"m delighted to have her in my life. I don't know what would have happened if it wasn't for her. I probably would have continued to feel helpless.

• For me, it's a task I'm obligated to perform, and while it's not always unpleasant, it's not one that I naturally enjoy. If I can, I prefer to have other people cook for me (but that can work out expensive).  Usually, I am content to make easy, but very tasty stuff. 

Like this bacon and egg barm (delicious at any time of day). But the bacon has to be streaky and smoked, and the egg has to be yokey.

It's not hard to make and only takes about 20 minutes. In a pre-heated oven (5 minutes), grill or bake streaky bacon for about 20 minutes, turning it once. When cooked, transfer it to an already sliced brioche burger bun.

Fry an egg for 5-8 minutes over a low heat, and then add it to your bun. You can increase the heat as the egg cooks, but make sure it starts very low, otherwise you will break the yolk.

• good then I am eating like that, occassionaly hooked up on sweats

• Anthing with a low fat content, like lean chicken, lean beef mince. Extra lean turkey is great.

Lots of fresh vegetables

As little processed food as possible