Does anyone else struggle to cook?

Does anyone struggle with cooking?

I’ve been trying to lose a bit of weight and thought that cooking fresh meals instead of having microwave/ready made meals would be better for me - but when it comes to cooking I really struggle to follow instructions and when I do and come to eat the food it’s not very nice.

For example, I was recently using one of those “Maggi cook in a bag” and it asks for 100ml of water for a meal that they say serves 4 but as it was just me eating the meal I would (after being told/snapped at by my mum) need to quarter it - i didn’t realise this and it has since meant having to cool more food.

The best way to describe it is that my brain likes to read and re-read the instructions but when it comes to doing them, I completely forget/don’t realise I’m doing it wrong - I do have dyslexia too so maybe it could be just that?

I’m still yet to be diagnosed but wondered if this was something other people experienced.

Parents
  • Chilli is one of the easiest to start with as you can do it in many ways, have it with different things like rice, jacket potato,  pasta. It's very easy to bulk out with veg which will lower the calories and give you more vitamins and minerals.  It's also one of the best dishes to make which can teach you about spices. I don't like super spicy, but they can really make a difference to your cooking. You can start with a spice mix that's already blended, start by adding a little at a time, stir it in and see how it tastes as you go. Once you get going, you can start to work out what spices you enjoy the most. Finally, chili is an excellent candidate for batch cooking. You can prepare a nice big batch, freeze it in small containers and pull them out as you need them.

• Thank you! I’ve never thought of making a chilli before, and though i don’t enjoy really spicy foods I’m always open to try something new! I’ll have a look around next time I go to the supermarket Grin 

• I recently had to return to eating meat which I haven't done in more than five years. It's meant rediscovering how to make that type of food palatable as I've very much gone off the taste. I have bags that I use to freeze individual chicken breasts. I've discovered that I can mix up a few teaspoons of various herbs and spices that I like, pour them into the bag and shake it and the defrosted chicken *** so it gets an even coating. I then make a little foil bag, pour the chicken *** into the foil, seal and cook at 180 degrees for 20 minutes, open the bag and allow it to carry on cooking for another 30 minutes. It's super healthy as there is no oil, and the spices give it a good flavour. It's easy enough to steam veggies or make a salad to go with it and the chicken itself only takes a few minutes to prepare.

• I recently had to return to eating meat which I haven't done in more than five years. It's meant rediscovering how to make that type of food palatable as I've very much gone off the taste. I have bags that I use to freeze individual chicken breasts. I've discovered that I can mix up a few teaspoons of various herbs and spices that I like, pour them into the bag and shake it and the defrosted chicken *** so it gets an even coating. I then make a little foil bag, pour the chicken *** into the foil, seal and cook at 180 degrees for 20 minutes, open the bag and allow it to carry on cooking for another 30 minutes. It's super healthy as there is no oil, and the spices give it a good flavour. It's easy enough to steam veggies or make a salad to go with it and the chicken itself only takes a few minutes to prepare.

Children