Working From Home. Is it what it's cracked-up to be ?

Hello,

Does anyone here really enjoy working from home and if so what do you do ? 

It really hit home to me, whilst out having an early morning walk today by the river, that I would be much happier working from home. I have worked a physical job most of my life and have known a change was long overdue, for years actually. I've realised this is causing me more stress than what it's worth and I'm in the process of minimising as much stress as I can, even if it may involve a loss of income. 

I've looked around at some of the most common jobs people are doing from home but don't really interest me, like corporate companies, data-entry, sales and so on. They're just not my cup of tea. I'd much more prefer to be helpful or creative or contribute something positive in some way. I'm just wondering how to go about finding work I could do from home that could be interesting or maybe even meaningful ? 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

• I could do that whole property thing but I'm not in that position atm. Are you building your own place ?

• You sound like you have a natural ability for language. I've read that a lot of people who excel in language don't really like Maths and those number guys are not big into English or language. Is there any truth to that ? That's great you have flexibility in choosing your hours and it's something that really appeals to me as I'd like to combine it with getting out in the fresh air everyday and generally slowing the pace. Did you need a lot of training/qualifications for your work ?

• i love it ,   i can control my environment eg  brightness temperature and turn on music or white noise or both 

I work in IT ( software tester )  so we all took our laptops home and log into the network via a VPN  and a security key thingy so that no one can intercept our valuable data.

all meetings are via microsoft Teams  I turn off my camera for most meetings.

I work with 5 very busy developers and a project manager.

• I'm sorry to hear you were feeling that way. So glad lockdown worked in your favour in bringing what stresses you into the light. I have never worked in a busy open plan office environment but I just know it wouldn't be for me either. Too draining.

I hope you can continue working from home. At least now you know it suits you much better so you can prioritise working from home from now on. 

• I really enjoy working from home for work purposes but I find it very difficult to gel with a team if I cannot see them in person. I think this is because I rely on mirroring them to make them like me. 

• I was teaching online till education opened up again. It was good being in charge of my own environment.  It was also good feeling I had more autonomy over my working day. I had enough people interaction ftom the students and didn't really miss seeing colleagues. However, I missed being on my feet. I don't particularly like sitting at a desk all day. Swings and roundabouts as they say. 

• Yes its immensely good I think more so for us autistic types. No *** birds to have to cope with along with doing work.

• Yes, I do enjoy working from home. I teach French and English part-time online.  I am lucky enough to be able to choose when and for how long I work (just two days a week for a couple of hours). Teaching isn't really work for me because it's something I enjoy, but it can be challenging, so I prefer to do it at home whenever possible.

I love being at home.

I work much better at home because I have prefect dominion over my environment (light and noise). When I go out, it's for fun things. I go out to enjoy a walk or a coffee with friends and family, but not for work. Not for anything that requires concentration or cognitive acrobatics.

I play piano and guitar at home too and for the past twelve months I've been composing and jamming with other musicians online in a weekly session. That has not been an enjoyable as being outside of the house with other people.

Some things are definitely better done outside of the house.

We will be going into the studio in the a few weeks time and I am looking forward to that very much. 

• Working from home was a miracle for me. I posted about it before but I was planning on killing myself in March 2020, and it became abundantly clear to me during lockdown that a busy open plan office environment was the worst place for me.

I was struggling so much with the continual social interaction, having to fake everything etc, but also with sensory issues, the bright lighting, the temperature at work was very aggravating for me, many people wear very strong perfumes (which have always bothered me for some reason, I find perfumes overpowering and unpleasant), and also unwanted touches from colleagues. And the commute itself was also a very unpleasant experience for me because of how crowded, noisy and smelly it was.

I was so stressed out and burnt out all the time and feeling hopeless and like I couldn't cope. It got to the point where I was sometimes not responding when people talked to me, and I would shut myself away in a cold meeting room with the light off and work alone in there, which some people were thinking was weird but they left me alone.

When I describe these things now it should have been so obvious that I have autism, so I don't know why it didn't occur to me or why I slipped through the cracks of the education system in the 90s. I suppose it's because I'm very intelligent and high functioning, and I can fake things pretty well.

But yes, working from home has been amazing and I hope where I work will allow me to continue once the lockdowns end.

• Hello there is always working for yourself ,making /importing stuff . One thing i did was buy some bare land and got planning for a barn ,you then have the right to live there while you build it ,then sell for a profit . There are all sorts of things made and sold on ebay .