Working From Home. Is it what it's cracked-up to be ?

Hello,

Does anyone here really enjoy working from home and if so what do you do ? 

It really hit home to me, whilst out having an early morning walk today by the river, that I would be much happier working from home. I have worked a physical job most of my life and have known a change was long overdue, for years actually. I've realised this is causing me more stress than what it's worth and I'm in the process of minimising as much stress as I can, even if it may involve a loss of income. 

I've looked around at some of the most common jobs people are doing from home but don't really interest me, like corporate companies, data-entry, sales and so on. They're just not my cup of tea. I'd much more prefer to be helpful or creative or contribute something positive in some way. I'm just wondering how to go about finding work I could do from home that could be interesting or maybe even meaningful ? 

Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Parents
  • Hiya Turtle,

That's an interesting one.  Whilst COVID has sent my medical phobias into overdrive to the point I've been terrified to leave the house, lockdown and working from home did not bother me one iota at first.  My hobbies are all at home and I always worked from home a couple of days a week anyway. 

I've always found it easiest to have a couple of days in the office at the beginning of the week so I can have those meetings and get a handle on what I need to do.  Then have two or three days at home at the end of the week so the hyper focus can go into overdrive, whilst the world can get lost and leave me alone while I produce the goods.  It suits the job and produces the goods.

Since the autumn, though, it's been tough.  It's the lack of fresh air, change of scenery and the fact that my body hasn't moved for so long...My boss seems to think we all need team 'coffee mornings' via MS Teams, to make sure our mental health isn't suffering from lack of social contact, bless him.  But, well, I'm always happy to hear from my colleagues when they need me, otherwise I'd rather just crack on.

For a more creative field.... Good luck!  I've no suggestions but it's got to be do-able.  My lovely step-daughter is an illustrator and artist.  For the want of other employment she's been painting and selling online really well.

• Hiya Turtle,

That's an interesting one.  Whilst COVID has sent my medical phobias into overdrive to the point I've been terrified to leave the house, lockdown and working from home did not bother me one iota at first.  My hobbies are all at home and I always worked from home a couple of days a week anyway. 

I've always found it easiest to have a couple of days in the office at the beginning of the week so I can have those meetings and get a handle on what I need to do.  Then have two or three days at home at the end of the week so the hyper focus can go into overdrive, whilst the world can get lost and leave me alone while I produce the goods.  It suits the job and produces the goods.

Since the autumn, though, it's been tough.  It's the lack of fresh air, change of scenery and the fact that my body hasn't moved for so long...My boss seems to think we all need team 'coffee mornings' via MS Teams, to make sure our mental health isn't suffering from lack of social contact, bless him.  But, well, I'm always happy to hear from my colleagues when they need me, otherwise I'd rather just crack on.

For a more creative field.... Good luck!  I've no suggestions but it's got to be do-able.  My lovely step-daughter is an illustrator and artist.  For the want of other employment she's been painting and selling online really well.

Children
No Data