Forever losing track of my things

Recently diagnosed with ASD. I am really bad at keeping track of my stuff. I am always losing things. I end up with two of something because I can't find the first one and then eventually find where I put it. It's so frustrating. I also don't get why people ask where is the last place you had it like if I knew that I could find it. I have a grounding tool that I really like but it's like it's vanished into thin air. Is this an autistic thing or just a me thing? Also any tips for stop losing things. routerlogin

• This is a common occurrence for me. Training yourself to put things back immediately is a good tactic, you get in the habit of it and then misplacing things all the time becomes less. Remembering to do so however is a challenge.

My main problem is I just abandon whatever I'm using and holding and get distracted by something else. I have the attention span of a five year old, most unfortunate when it comes to remembering certain things.

• Le spam est un langage universel...

• Yes, it's an ASD thing. I've just realised this myself lately. I drive me wife mad with it, especially because I unintentionally accuse her moving stuff (I ask if she moved it but I say it the wrong way Grimacing).

• I have autism abd I always misplace my house keys and smartphone at odd times and it look like short tern memory problems is part of the ASD disorder. Don't ask me why, but I once put my house keys in my microwave. Thankfully I have a spare set of keys.

• I am autistic and have a similar issue because I am always misplacing my house keys abx I know they are in my house, but other than that I do not know where they were abd twice I left them in my  front door but thankfully I have goid neighbours and HD kept them safe until I cane for them and on another time I put them in the microwave, don't ask ne shy because I gave no idea why I put them there. It appears that short term memory problems is part if autism.

• Yeah, that is probably behind most people's difficulty to find things, trying to search but mashing your brain about it.

The challenge is not to get worked up, that only leads to stress and chaotic thinking.  Hyper mode can be great to help get something done, but it can also mean not really thinking about what you are doing, or eratic in thinking.  A calmer way to respond to something lost is the answer, though taking over what happens automatically is difficult, but if you make it a goal and keep trying then your brain might adapt to a calmer way eventually.

• I think I get worked up and panic when I can't find things so I look over what I'm looking for and only find it when I've calmed later on. I do go super hyper at times so that doesn't help either.

I have started trying to have regular places for certain things and it has made a difference which is fabulous.

• Your probably ADHD too I always do that 

• Its a normal human thing I think, and maybe be aware of yourself when looking - are you frantic, not focussed enough, got brain fog, or whatever.  I've knocked a glass over I was looking for, so it was there but not recognised as there.

Sometimes I know I haven't really looked properly, and have to put more focus into it.

Have a regular place for your usual things can help, sometimes we put things down in a place its not normally and then its really hard.

• This happens to me a lot as well usually I lose my keys or a cup I was just drinking from. I look in one place and don't see it but when I look in that place again later on I see it. It's really weird and annoying. I try to keep track of where I place things but I almost never remember where it is. Spend much of my day searching for things.

• I'm not sure if it is an autistic trait, but I always lost/misplaced things, like keys etc. I developed several ways to cope with this

For things like keys, I have had periods where I just keep them on me at all times- for example, I used to wear my key and university card around my neck at all times (I even sometimes forgot to take it off at night- the only thing you have to watch out for is that if you do take it off, you create a set routine so that you remember to put it on every morning.). 

The second way I cope is that I create a fixed routine when using the item, which forces me to not forget it/ always put it in the same place. For example, I recently lived in a temporary flat share with people I did not know (it was horrible...) so I created a routine where before leaving the flat I always locked my room and then put the key in my pocket- the key to the flat and my room were on the same holder so by doing this I made sure that I would not leave the flat without the key to the flat. 

All my examples so far involve keys but creating a routine/ placing the item always in the same place also works for other objects and things. It takes some time to establish these habits but then it helps me lots. I always lost/misplaced my credit card... as I was putting it in different places (in pocket, wallet etc etc.). Now I have taught myself that it always goes straight back in the wallet... and it works most of the time

Not sure if this helps...  . It does seem to work for me ... before I figured out these coping techniques I was locking myself out all the time and constantly misplacing things (now it still happens occasionally but it is so much better.) 

If you tell us what kind of things you loose, maybe it will be easier to give some more applicable advice... 

• There are four packs of tiles in this set. Keeps track of your phone, keys, and wallet all at once. When the batteries run out, the extra two are a welcome bonus. A wall-mountable bin with hooks. My second option is a phone docking station that also serves as a key holder.

• Omg I'm the same I'm forever losing my stuff, my phone, clothes, earrings anything really lol. I try to take note and make a mental image of it when I put it down but it doesn't really work. A few hours later I spend another few hours looking for it, usually don't find it until a few days later when I'm no longer really looking. 

• @Spider Solitaire 2 Suit I think I have the same problem but I don't know how to solve it 

• I'm ok as long as I stick to basic routines. If it's not something I use regularly,  than it's a bit harder. The only thing that seems to work, is if I have particular places for certain groups of items. Like for example, my sewing stuff, is in a few areas, my stuff that I need to take out of the house with me, is in another. I try to keep those areas specific so when I forget where something is, it's still going to only be in a limited number of areas. It's also difficult living with other people.  I have specific bowls that I like to use for my meals and if someone else manages to get into the kitchen before I am able to put them away, I have to go hunting for them!