ASD and metaphor/sarcasm?

I think I am on the autism spectrum but I keep hearing/reading that people with autism struggle with understanding nuances in meaning of words or don't understand sarcasm.

As far as I can remember I didn't feel confused with sarcasm and I've learnt the art pretty well that I am known for my caustic humour. I also love poetry and verbal imagery having been an avid reader when I had more time, as a child relied on a very active imagined alternative reality to get through some school situations.

Does that exclude me from being autistic? I'm afraid of going any further if it's all just in my mind.

Parents
  • Hi there,

As my psychologist explained to me - everyone's experience is different and it's a combination of behaviours/traits (apologies to anyone if I've got the language wrong) that manifest in different ways in different strengths in different people.

A self screening test might give you a better idea. I tried this one which I used to have a discussion with my GP.

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg142/resources/autism-spectrum-quotient-aq10-test-143968

What clinched it for him was when I did a mood diary about my depression.When he read the entries he explained to me that sometimes clinicians can only read what had been presented and that this meant some things might not be picked up on. It seems that there was something about my style of writing (or even how much I wrote) that flagged it for him because it was then that we moved onto talking about an assessment.

TBH I'm not sure I completely followed the conversation that happened afterwards - it's that weird moment when someone with the expertise recognises something "in you" which you're not aware of. 

I get sarcasm, but I think it depends on where I hear it. In a comedy show - no problem. From a friend - I'd struggle a little bit on how to take it. Anywhere else I'd think it really strange. My therapist explained to me that I tend to put people in boxes and then have expectations of them depending on which box they're in. So a manager for example - because they're a manager MUST be ...... x....y....z AT ALL times. I believed for a long time people did the "one thing" and nothing else and were faultless at the thing they did (I know! I know! I lived in a really quiet village where we never went anywhere and with nothing going on - the world was pretty small when I was growing up).

• that's so interesting. I always put my inadequacies down to my mother being overprotective among other things - the small world thing. You've made me realise also, how often I think I get things, but just the other night, my partner said something that was meant in jest and I didn't realise and took it seriously. I had myself fooled over the years because I always brush those off and pretend I got it all along - I'm supposed to be the funny one... *facepalm*.

It's also so nice to be in a place where some people write so much. I always feel like I have to edit and re-edit and cut and re-organise my writing. Although I'm a terrible rambler and I see you are not.

• that's so interesting. I always put my inadequacies down to my mother being overprotective among other things - the small world thing. You've made me realise also, how often I think I get things, but just the other night, my partner said something that was meant in jest and I didn't realise and took it seriously. I had myself fooled over the years because I always brush those off and pretend I got it all along - I'm supposed to be the funny one... *facepalm*.

It's also so nice to be in a place where some people write so much. I always feel like I have to edit and re-edit and cut and re-organise my writing. Although I'm a terrible rambler and I see you are not.

Children
No Data