Learning To Drive

Hi!

Recently I have been thinking about learning to drive but im nervous if I have a meltdown or sensory overload whilst driving.

If you are autisitic and know how to drive (a car) could you tell me a little bit about your experience on what's it like and what the pros and cons are?

Thank you!

Parents
  • I had numerous instructors and had lessons on and off for years. I had a block booking and had an accident on my last lesson before my test. Left it another couple of years and tried again.

My final instructor was really relaxed and I found it helpful to have the radio on and a few conversations when I was getting better. Felt it helped me not panic so much. I was about 31 when I passed. 

For a good couple of years I had 2 satnavs and even now I have to really plan routes. My partner doesn't understand why I need a satnav when I've been somewhere multiple times. I just do.

I only drive if I have to and not a fan of town/City driving. Prefer motorways. Less chance of people running across the road lol.

All that being said, it's much better being able to drive than not. I'm better on my own. I find myself explaining everything I do wrong when with others.

• I had numerous instructors and had lessons on and off for years. I had a block booking and had an accident on my last lesson before my test. Left it another couple of years and tried again.

My final instructor was really relaxed and I found it helpful to have the radio on and a few conversations when I was getting better. Felt it helped me not panic so much. I was about 31 when I passed. 

For a good couple of years I had 2 satnavs and even now I have to really plan routes. My partner doesn't understand why I need a satnav when I've been somewhere multiple times. I just do.

I only drive if I have to and not a fan of town/City driving. Prefer motorways. Less chance of people running across the road lol.

All that being said, it's much better being able to drive than not. I'm better on my own. I find myself explaining everything I do wrong when with others.

Children
No Data