Employment issues

Hi I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place,

I'm having problems at work, to the point where I've no choice but to leave.

Basically no adjustments or consideration of my ASD and adhd.

My work emailed waiting to know that I felt I'd been treated fairly, which I don't. I had not planned to raise this with them, just to go and draw a line.

I've spoken to ACAS, family, but wanted the view of people who have similar struggles that I do.

I am at such a point, that I don't know how I feel, how to react and even what's acceptable or normal just now.

Any opinions on the situation would be welcome, 

Thank you.

• This is pretty much the situation which I find myself, right now. Shockingly similar.

In my case, I went off sick in January of 2020, having become suicidal, in large part because of what I was dealing with at work. 

In that time, I've taken Prozac, but I no longer do as I found it ineffective (this was to treat my anxiety and depression-not ASD), completed a course of CBT, which was effective in helping me to gain some confidence and self-belief, and been diagnosed with ASD. 

My 'back to work' meeting was conducted in the middle of a cafe with people sitting on the surrounding tables, in which I had to talk about some very personal issues like the suicidal ideation. One of the reasonable adjustments I asked for was a transfer to a more suitable environment, and was clear that returning to the same environment which contributed to my breakdown was highly likely to erase any progress I have made and not something I was willing to do, or something I even feel physically or mentally capable of doing. 

But I feel I've been left with no choice. And immediately the same issues started returning. The panic attacks, the shakes, the sensory issues, the suicidal ideation and depression and hopelessness, but they don't get it. After everything, after going through occupational health and everything else they expect me to return to a place where I was called a 'freak' by one manager for having OCD, despite being well aware of what a serious issue it was for me. That's one of many things but I don't want to ramble about myself anymore than I have. 

Personally I'm trying to find the strength to return in the short term, but I'm also planning to file a grievance about how all this has been handled, and go into more detail about what it is exactly that makes the place so unbearable for me. They think if they change minor, inconsequential things I'll be happy to go back but they've disregarded what I said about the environment. Like you, I felt it better to just walk away and tried to fight my corner without going into detail about what amounts to discrimination and harrassment, but because I didn't make a grievance at the time (I felt powerless having had every other issue ignored) I don't think I'll have a case to take them to tribunal or anything, but I can demonstrate that these were things management either said, did, or were aware of, and why the workplace culture is bad for me.

I just thought it was worth letting you know that while I can't offer any advice or help, I can appreciate your position, and if I do get anywhere with my own situation (speaking to ACAS again on Monday as well as another industry-related support line) I'll update in the hopes it will be of use to you, if you like, but I'm feeling just as lost and helpless as you seem to be feeling right now. 

Here's hoping things improve for both of us, in the mean time if you do return I'd keep a record of incidents and report them through official channels in a timely fashion, apparently if you don't report things right away they're not treated as seriously, which is where I went wrong. 

Good luck though :)

• maybe just as well they didnt answer the phone !

• In my area of the country, they use every excuse not provide support and assistance, I managed once to get their assistance and it didn't go to well. They contact my employer and he then decided to manage me out of the workplace. 

• I haven't. Luckily HR and my manager have been supportive and I've been able to take sick leave. 

• have u used Access to Work ? I never got them to answer the phone !

• I am that shade of Blue, this has happened to many times to me too.

• This has happened to me multiple times know, but there isn't an reasonable solution around it which irritates me to the point of giving up. If you bring outside assistant like "access to work" involved they basically start the process of terminating you and managing you out. 

• poor K,  not a nice experience

• I hate reading these experiences. 

This happened to me I get so Fucking angry with this ***. 

Acas is absolutely crap and I think it was designed that way. 

I still haven't fully recovered from what happened to me after 4 years. 

Lexit. 

ACAS.

Unite Union. 

Absolutely failed me I was in contact with them every other day beginning for help.

Whilst I was put on a performance improvement plan right after the adjustment crap from Lexit. 

The Pip was how they turned the screws everyday, I had to report on how I screwed up on the impossible tasks they would set with no training.

Until I was  pressured enough to quit.

I feel so angry just thinking about it. I could spit a new shade of blue

• I got some legal advice through my employers assistance programme.

I've already resigned, got a new job with less than ideal terms....I wasn't exactly thinking straight at the time, didn't want to go on the sick etc.

I've written back stating what happened and how it affected me.

Legal advised that not only should work make reasonable adjustments, but they should anticipate them also...neither of which they did.

Adjustments to my work station, hours, lighting, noise disruption, communication of change and mitigating it etc. None of which were done.

I've stated this.

I'm just massively overwhelmed at the moment, the emotion I had bottled up throughout has now hit me like a tsunami.

Thank you for all your advice given now and in future, I've felt very alone and it means the world to have your input.

• Lots of advice but you need to get legal help. 

Solicitors give 30 free appointments.

Union if your in it

Citizen's advice

• Have you had a look at Access to Work? They might be able to support you whilst you are still employed. https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

I'm not diagnosed yet and trying to come up with reasonable adjustments contributed to poor mental health and three months off work. Not ideal but has given me a bit more perspective. I'm fortunate I have a supportive boss and have worked there for 6 years (mostly positive with the odd blip). 

Have you been in the role long? Are they new issues or something you've had problems with from the start?

• I sympathize with employment problems.  But if they want you out they will get you out.

I was fired in 2018 just before I completed a probationary period, so I had less legal rights.

At my dismissal hearing they had a list of around twenty minor issues with my behaviour.  Two even contradicted each other.  My direct manager stated that extra help and support was made available to me.  I was criticized for not accepting certain help, the point was made that if I didn't use the help that was made available then I wouldn't improve.  Later I was criticized for accepting certain help and support.  The point was made that by accepting help I was a financial liability to the company.

It's a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

• My settlement included what would be sent as a reference and as such I have the right to see them.

• i agree with plastic ---- just tell them frankly what u want ...... see what they say.... tell us what you want !

put another way,,,,

it is easier to find and get a new job while you are in a job than not in one.

• Honestly, when does that ever work out for the autistic individual. the majority of the time the process is used against the autistic person. Unless the autistic individual is highly skilled and competent at their job the employer isn't going spend money or even think about making any reasonable accommodation or any reasonable adjustment.

Raising the issues is only going to end up with the individual being managed out of the job and struggling to finding another meaningful employment opportunity. Employers have many means to get around removing employees they don't like without breaking the law and the equality act.

What you need is for some sort of organisation or Union to help support and witness to support any claims you make against your current employer. You need to beware that leaving a job from a company that has outside connection of their own business can lead to career suicide and impact finding future employment. Your current co-workers can also sting your employment opportunities elsewhere.   

Unless you are physically disfigured or intend to continue working for your current employer any legal battle or settlement can deter future employers.         

• This happened to me recently, in fact they tried to use their processes against me but, thanks to the union, they failed.

Make sure you have copies of any letters or emails in regard to this. Suggest you print them or send them to your own email as the company can delete all your files as soon as you leave.

In law it states that the company must make reasonable adjustments to aid you in your work.

Do not confirm the email but reply asking them to specify how they believe they have complied with employment/discrimination law. Put the ball back in their half.

Obviously please confirm this with a legal person. There is a Facebook page for free legal advice with qualified practitioners answering.

The thing to remember is that either way you will probably not work there as they will be watching you carefully.

In my case I had to sign a non-disclosure agreement and received a pay-out. The average amount is about £11,000 according to ACAS.

Hope this helps  

• If you haven't raised unfair treatment with them then it may well be worth at least having that conversation. If you're planning to leave anyway then you don't have anything to lose. Just go through their formal routes, make sure you're polite and respectful to the people you engage with, avoid blaming people and make it clear that you're not trying to cause trouble.

Towards that, articulate events in a simple factual "This happened, and the impact on me was.." That way you can keep the emotional descriptions to the impact on you, and come across as professional and grounded regarding the events themselves.

They'll want to know what you want, so plan ahead before speaking with them. If you're leaving anyway then you maybe have little you want or expect from them, but one reasonable request is that they review and understand how their processes and policies have forced out someone disabled, and seek to make appropriate adjustments for the benefit of their other employees. If there are reasonable adjustments they can make that will directly benefit you then obviously you can ask for those, but that assumes you'd prefer to stay.

Whether you do talk to them or not, it's an awful job market at the moment so consider whether staying until you find a new role might be an option.

• What accommodations have you asked for?    In what ways have they neglected to support you?

You need to be able to step back and think clearly-  I've been in your situation and you need to talk it over with someone outside - even your parents - to try to work out if your stress is really to do with the immediate job or are a load of external pressures just overloading you in the short term.