Dealing with impatience/queues

Is impatience a particular thing of autism? How do people deal with it?

• Yes. Humour and inventiveness get me through those periods. That, and being perennially "late".

You don't need to queue and wait around as much if you avoid being early. (Being perennially late was not a conscious decion and it's hurt me a lot on occasions I'll admit, but after a half centruy of introspection and querying, I'm now fairly certain that's why I grew that "quirk".  

• I find queuing very difficult but the answer is not allowing me to queue jump! That’s simply unfair to others - the queue needs to move faster for all! 

• I've never had a problem using a letter from the doctor at CAMHS and found the places we have visited have been very helpful. 

• Sorry I've been offline for a while, but yes this is very much a common experience. For me it's like my subconscious takes over to escape situation quickly as possible, safety and other considerations take second place depending how close to meltdown I may be.

• Impatience is something I control well usually, so long as I'm not having to wait for ages for an annoying reason. Like if I'm waiting ages in a shop and the person in front is finished but just keeps talking then I get impatient. Waiting for no reason is irritating for me.

• according to the post office u are a rarity keep writing letters :)

• It's not being able to finish something I have started because there is something else scheduled I can't stsnd

• I couldn't wait for toffee as a child.

Waiting on hold on the phone has become a learned behaviour for me.

Post Offices drive me insane as everyone uses it to withdraw their cash and pay their bills. All I'm looking for is a stamp to post a letter. :S

• It is certainly not my forte. These days I can check things on my phone.

It is when things slow down when trying to send an important message online or working on my computer and things start going awry that bring out the worst in me though

• If you are going to places like theme parks you can get a letter from a Doctor stating your child has Autism and cant queue, you would then be able to get a special pass at the theme park sometimes known as ride easy access pass and you get on the ride through the disabled entrance, you get on the ride quicker and dont have loads of people around you.

Most UK theme parks are demanding to see PIP letters to have an access pass.      I've found most museums and similar will try hard to make things easier for hidden disabilities - especially if you have the sunflower lanyard.

• Ha, good point. And the queues are out of doors, and there's more space (deliberately because of the 2-metre rule) and it all feels much more relaxing that the 'old' type of queues inside shops.

Spending time in bed browsing social media - ha, tell me about it ;)

• Some of the queues are annoying but I just try and think of it as I am spending more time outside rather than on my phone in bed pointlessly browsing social media

• I have this 'unwritten rule' that if I miss an appointment, it means I'm taking on too many tasks and I'm overwhelmed. 

And also a thing about procrastination: always postpone as much as you can, performing only urgent tasks is so much more challenging and you should not want an easy life. 

I made that one up when I saw a quote from Bruce Lee (karate-man)

Don't wish for an easy life, wish for the strength to endure a hard life.

• I'm now teaching my daughter how to drive a car. I tried that before with my sister, but we gave up. Now it goes. 

This is something I'm really very happy about, it also happens exactly how I had imagined it, now I made some sticks to help with the paralel parking. I also got better with the 'not too much information at once', and 'try to figure this out for yourself'... I don't want to rush things, I know she now needs to get lots of exercise and she'll have lesser days in the future. This now needs to get an automatism for her so she can focus on the other traffic in stead of on the mechanical part.

• Ha, with inertia and postponing things I just tell myself I need more thinking time ;)

• With me that got better, it was bad, I wanted to have my wife's opinion, and I would almost drag her out of the armchair to get her to look at something.

• I'm OK doing step-by-step things - I have infinite patience explaining things or helping peeps with their English to give one example.

When I have an 'idea', I want it done immediately. I either do it straightaway - eg today, commenting on someone's urgent planning application. Done.

If I have an idea but can't get on with it (eg building a sculpture thing where I had to order something online) that is Much Harder.

• You hit the nail on the head there for me, I'm just the same. I get a bee in my bonnet and can't wait. I was like it today. Or I can wait forever about some things, or have inertia where I postpone it as if I'm frozen in time. 

• What I do recognise here is that I sometimes want to have something done, and then this can't wait. That got better, but it's still a bit of an issue. 

And it contrasts with the fact that I can't just drop everything and do it myself, so I know it's not fair to ask it from somebody else. 

• I think the system lost my reply - or i pressed the wrong button - i think it’s when i’m experiencing sensory overload (since diagnosis  i realise that’s the issue) - lots of jostling people in a queue, loud noise or vibration - i can’t wait to get away. i find it so distressing i’m almost bumping into people to just get out of there