Ripping Clothes

Hello All, I hope you can help

I support adults with Autism who also have sever learning disabilities. One of the gents I support is in his early twenties, he has recently started to rip his clothes every time he gets changed, there doesn't appear to be any triggers to this, ie that it is seams or the particular material.

Does anyone have any experience of this type of behaviour, any advice would be appreciated

Thanks Leah

• Hello Leah

Individuals on the spectrum can often display behaviour that may be challenging. There will generally be a reason for this and it is important to try and understand the trigger for the behaviour when developing strategies.

You may like to have a look at the following link for more information on behaviour and strategies:

http://www.autism.org.uk/living-with-autism/understanding-behaviour.aspx

You may be interested in seeking some professional support regarding the behaviour. You can search for professionals in your area we are aware of on the Autism Services Directory: www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx

You may like to contact The Autism Helpline who can provide information and advice on behaviour and strategies. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

i hope you find this of some assistance

Best wishes

Lorraine  Mod