Strategies for calming down?

After being wound up by my very loud and rebellious 5 year old daughter 3 hours ago, I'm struggling to calm down. I'd therefore be grateful for any tips to help lower the stress and anger levels. I thought locking myself away quietly for some internet browsing would help, but sadly it didn't.

Thanks, Steve

Parents
  • I use music or the sound of water, ie rain, rivers etc and depending on how I’m feeling depends on what sounds I need. I also use familiar audio books to distract myself. Then I have time to calm down properly. It can take a while though :)

• I've used music before to help me calm down. I should have thought of it, but can't think straight when I'm wound up. Thanks for reminding me. I think I'll write down a few strategies to remind me next time.

Reply Children
  • I do fidget generally, so perhaps a proper fidget gadget would be helpful. My partner just reminded me that I have some Buddhist prayer beads I could use to fidget with, which I bought ages ago to help with mindfulness. She also suggested I make a playlist of calm down music, which is a good idea.

• Yeah I can get like that. Where you just cannot regulate how you’re feeling and everything feels like too much effort. I also use a fidget cube in unknown situations if that helps x