Learning to Drive - Sensory

I'm trying to learn to drive at the moment. I've had 30 hours of lessons and it's mostly going fine, but I'm really struggling to cope with the sensations of the car/ road. I can manage most of it, usually, but I really struggle with the feeling of changing gear, which is making hill starts particularly really difficult because I don't like making the engine rev because it's loud and feels horrible. And to make it worse my instructor has just got a new car and it's it's really loud.

Does anyone have any experience of learning to drive and overcoming the sensory stuff that I'm finding quite overwhelming?

Parents
  • I'd say it's partly sensory and partly learning a new skill. It's difficult to concentrate when you're still figuring out how to drive the car. Once the actual driving bit becomes automatic (and this takes different times depending on who it is) then it's a bit less stressful because you only have the sensory element. Driving stresses me because there is so much going on, so quickly, but luckily the driving bit is now properly automatic for me. My sister has ADHD and she has really struggled and failed her test 3 times. I think, if you can afford it, just keep going at your own pace and you'll know when you're ready to take a test. The problem with driving is it's always unexpected so you always have to expect that anything can happen, in order to be prepared in case it does (if that makes sense). Also, there are 3 things that still stress me out - driving a different car, driving somewhere new, and driving passengers. I can cope with one of these things but not 2 or all 3 at the same time. 

• I'd say it's partly sensory and partly learning a new skill. It's difficult to concentrate when you're still figuring out how to drive the car. Once the actual driving bit becomes automatic (and this takes different times depending on who it is) then it's a bit less stressful because you only have the sensory element. Driving stresses me because there is so much going on, so quickly, but luckily the driving bit is now properly automatic for me. My sister has ADHD and she has really struggled and failed her test 3 times. I think, if you can afford it, just keep going at your own pace and you'll know when you're ready to take a test. The problem with driving is it's always unexpected so you always have to expect that anything can happen, in order to be prepared in case it does (if that makes sense). Also, there are 3 things that still stress me out - driving a different car, driving somewhere new, and driving passengers. I can cope with one of these things but not 2 or all 3 at the same time. 

Children
No Data