I try and mask when I'm on my own

I realised the other day that I mask when I'm on my own, or try to - I try and imagine someone's watching my behaviour. I've done this since I was a kid. Maybe I've been trying to act 'normal' to try and make myself feel normal? It's basically thinking I'm 'wrong' the way I am. No wonder I'm stressed half the time! I've been trying to consciously let myself be me, flaws, weird behaviour and all, but it's hard to undo a lifetime of conditioning, especially as I only realised I was very likely ASD a couple of years ago, so am still coming to terms with what this means. I've only recently realised that what I do (with others and on my own) is masking. Does anyone else do this?

• This is a fake thread cloned from someone else's original post - probably a spambot getting a foothold - prepare for lots of spam over the weekend!

• "I try and imagine someone's watching my behaviour"

I do exactly the same thing, sometimes. Have done since childhood. Like I'm making a little film. 

• I realised the other day that I mask when I'm on my own, or try to - I try and imagine someone's watching my behaviour. I've done this since I was a kid. Maybe I've been trying to act 'normal' to try and make myself feel normal? It's basically thinking I'm 'wrong' the way I am. No wonder I'm stressed half the time! I've been trying to consciously let myself be me, flaws, weird behaviour and all, but it's hard to undo a lifetime of conditioning, especially as I only realised I was very likely ASD a couple of years ago, so am still coming to terms with what this means. I've only recently realised that what I do (with others and on my own) is masking. Does anyone else do this?

If this topic is something you can relate with and would like to respond to ~ here follows the original authoresse's thread link: