Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents
  • At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was

I think a feature of being autistic is not only difficulty in reading expressions but also difficulty in exhibiting them to NTs so they can use their mystic skills to know better than me how I feel.

I think the whole thing of body language is vastly over-rated.  Many times I have been asked what I'm smiling about when I did not realise I was smiling.  And other times why I looked so miserable when I wasn't.  And in my younger years this got me into great trouble at school.

• Does anyone else get accused of laughing at someone’s situation when you are actually smiling in sympathy because you have been in a similar situation? I really must learn not to do that. It’s difficult though. 

• I used to get into an immense amount of trouble when I was at school due to being thought of as 'smiling' or 'laughing' inappropriately.

I have now mastered the esoteric art of the 'deadpan' expression, the result is that I am often told to 'cheer up'.

Reply Children
No Data