Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents Reply
  • OMG. I was thinking what the hell is an amygdala. And is it related to autism?

I just skim read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amygdala. And this section popped out.

It seems that nearly every (condition) in ASD is the result of the amygdala. Emotions, sexuality, anxiety, PTSD, emotional response, Fear.

Sorry to copy paste; But doing so in good faith.

With advances in neuroimaging technology such as MRI, neuroscientists have made significant findings concerning the amygdala in the human brain. A variety of data shows the amygdala has a substantial role in mental states, and is related to many psychological disorders.

Some studies have shown children with anxiety disorders tend to have a smaller left amygdala. In the majority of the cases, there was an association between an increase in the size of the left amygdala with the use of SSRIs (antidepressant medication) or psychotherapy.

The left amygdala has been linked to social anxiety, obsessive and compulsive disorders, and post traumatic stress, as well as more broadly to separation and general anxiety.[47] 

In a 2003 study, subjects with borderline personality disorder showed significantly greater left amygdala activity than normal control subjects. Some borderline patients even had difficulties classifying neutral faces or saw them as threatening.[48]Individuals with psychopathy show reduced autonomic responses to instructed fear cues than otherwise healthy individuals.[49] 

In 2006, researchers observed hyperactivity in the amygdala when patients were shown threatening faces or confronted with frightening situations. Patients with severe social phobia showed a correlation with increased response in the amygdala.[50] 

Similarly, depressed patients showed exaggerated left amygdala activity when interpreting emotions for all faces, and especially for fearful faces. This hyperactivity was normalized when patients were administered antidepressant medication.[51] 

By contrast, the amygdala has been observed to respond differently in people with bipolar disorder. A 2003 study found that adult and adolescent bipolar patients tended to have considerably smaller amygdala volumes and somewhat smaller hippocampal volumes.[52] 

>>bingo>> Many studies have focused on the connections between the amygdala and autism.[53]

Children