Are you good at identifying emotions/feelings within yourself?

Example 1: At my last psych appointment the pdoc said I looked happy. I didn't think I was.

Example 2: Was recently seen at main hospital emergency department  because of chest pains. Tests were ok, but BP was higher than normal . Had to go for follow up the next day . Doctor said it had been  raised because I was anxious. Apparently my pulse rate was fast.  I hadn't noticed I was anxious.

I don't think it happens all the time ie I sometimes know when I'm anxious etc .

Parents
  • I am absolute horrendous at knowing how I feel.  I tend to call everything “anxiety” because I don’t really know what it is. 

• That seems to be the horrible irony; when you can't identify feelings generally, the ones that you *can* identify seem to be anxiety, frustration & anger.

For me at the moment, I've worked on my thinking processes so that I don't catastrophize (it works mostly) so now when I get anxious all I notice is that my legs go cold and fizzy. Most of the time I seem to have no feelings at all except fear and a sense of pointlessness.

• Do you get them odd feelings too.

These are three that I get.

1.a massive chill for about 1 second through my entire body.

2. When I’m in an awkward situation like when I used to have parent-teacher night I wouldn’t know where to look and my eyes would dart round the room. Everything would go out of proportion and people’s faces and sounds would feel far away but things really close would feel even closer.

3. Everything feels weak and I just drop to the floor for no reason, after about 10 seconds I would be fine but a little confused.

• Do you get them odd feelings too.

These are three that I get.

1.a massive chill for about 1 second through my entire body.

2. When I’m in an awkward situation like when I used to have parent-teacher night I wouldn’t know where to look and my eyes would dart round the room. Everything would go out of proportion and people’s faces and sounds would feel far away but things really close would feel even closer.

3. Everything feels weak and I just drop to the floor for no reason, after about 10 seconds I would be fine but a little confused.

Children