Negative Body Image and Autism

https://kirstenlindsmith.wordpress.com/2018/08/27/body-image-and-autism/

Please see attached its an article about body image and ASC. i have a terrible body image always have but espescially my face apparently its quite common for body dysmorphia and ASDs to occur together. I'm actually following on from what trainspotter said in his thread about not liking to look in the mirror.

Any thoughts, experiences?

Parents
  • I think these things often come as extremes with autism. There are those that really aren't bothered by their appearance at all. And there are people who are very susceptible to things like body dsymorphia.

I don't think I have any issues with body dysmorphia but I am extremely body conscious. I wear clothes that cover as much of my body as possible. If it's very hot and I resort to wearing shorts I am very self conscious about it. I will not change in front of people or anything like that and I won't go swimming as I don't like wearing swimming costumes.

I don't know whether I would always have been like this or whether it is a result of years of bullying. 

Puberty didn't help me as a child. I had quite bad acne on my chest and back which isn't a great look for a teenage girl. I don't know whether this was what triggered my extreme self consciousness.

• It *is* kind of interesting, I had acne well into my 20s, I've been overweight, I'm now 60-odd and saggy etc. I used to walk around naked perfectly happily when I was young, don't think I'd do that now but I seem to remain fairly oblivious to my externality most of the time with the occasional bout of sensitivity when everyone stares as you walk to get into the swimming pool etc. I think you're right, it is just one of those random extremes AS people go in for.

• Yea I've put on a bit of weight recently and am heading towards being 50 faster than I'd like so I'm getting to know what you mean about things getting a bit loose (saggy) lol

• Ask a silly question and get a silly answer lol

Just do not ask THAT question because whatever I say will be wrong No mouth

• Yea thanks and, shut up you! This is a girl thing...

• What weight?

I wish I was as slim as a bookworm. 

Bookworm's don't get that saggy either, so chill out about it.

Plan your mid-life crisis now and don't become a hairy ass born again biker Zipper mouth

Sorry, on a high today so quite jokey

• What weight?

I wish I was as slim as a bookworm. 

Bookworm's don't get that saggy either, so chill out about it.

Plan your mid-life crisis now and don't become a hairy ass born again biker Zipper mouth

Sorry, on a high today so quite jokey

Children