Does high intelligence necessarily mean high functioning?

I'm not sure that it does. My psychiatrists over the years and my sister have described me as very intelligent . However I have much lower non-verbal than verbal intelligence. I struggle with day to day practical tasks. I get quite a bit of help from my stepdaughter and someone who comes in twice a week to clean. The help is described in my care plan as enabling me to continue living independently in my flat.

Parents
  • I think it depends on your definition of intelligence. 

If you want to define intelligence as the ability to do culturally valued things and produce culturally valued products, as Robert sternberg (a psychologist who studied intelligence) does, then it may well do.

If you want to define intelligence more about how well the brain can do tasks irrelivent of their cultural value, then no (unless there is co-morbid retardation)

I prefer the second one.  And I think our culture needs to expand its values to include those whos intelligence does not fit under our current umbrella of usefulness.

• I think it depends on your definition of intelligence. 

If you want to define intelligence as the ability to do culturally valued things and produce culturally valued products, as Robert sternberg (a psychologist who studied intelligence) does, then it may well do.

If you want to define intelligence more about how well the brain can do tasks irrelivent of their cultural value, then no (unless there is co-morbid retardation)

I prefer the second one.  And I think our culture needs to expand its values to include those whos intelligence does not fit under our current umbrella of usefulness.

Children
No Data