Disclosing and reasonable adjustments

I’ve been considering - to disclose or not to disclose autism at work? 

I thought I didn’t need to disclose because I found this job before even autism crossed my mind. 

So I thought “I went so far not knowing so I’m going to ignore it”. 

Especially that I read all those stories about how other people might react after disclosure and I was worried that suddenly they might start treating me badly.

But disclosing also means reasonable adjustments. 

And that they’re going to ask about it. 

And I’m not sure what would help? How do you know what helps you? 

I keep asking myself “will it help?” and I’m not sure. 

I have my own computer which I hate using because it’s in the middle of open plan office but I’m not sure moving desk would help because other spaces in the office are not especially appealing either. I’d rather have my own office with the printer but that’s not an option. 

The main problem for me is communication though. 

Someone is explaining something to me and the moment they stop I don’t know what exactly I’m supposed to do. And how. I try my best but then people get angry that it wasn’t what they meant and that they’ve explained everything so clearly (and I feel like an idiot) 

Could I ask to be moved one step down the company ladder as an adjustment?

I’m a supervisor and it’s awful. 

Yes, I wanted to do it because I thought I could. 

But I hate delegating work, and I hate organising time for other people (I can organise and prioritise my own work just fine unless someone suddenly comes and asks me to do something urgent and I’m not sure how to fit it in my schedule)

But being in charge of other people is awful - I don’t know what to tell them, what they should do and when, so the job would be done. 

And I need to train them. I really dislike explaining and training people. Maybe because I hardly talk. So I’m always worried that they didn’t understand me.

But I guess I can’t refuse to train new employees?

And I’m responsible for their job being done correctly because otherwise it’s going to be my fault. Which is rather stressful.

I really need to do something about my work because it destroys my private life (according to my husband-we hardly have any relationship now) 

I like my job but working full time is draining. 

And I don’t really know how to help myself.

Parents
  • I would disclose.

Sounds obvious, but an employer is under no obligation for any adjustments should they not know of your autism. Disclosure can open a range of adjustments for you.

Open plan offices are not good for anyone least of all for someone autistic.  Adjustments could include changing your job role provided it is one the company has, or could use.  This could include promotion or removal of responsibilities if you wanted it.  Your responsibilities could not be removed by the employer alone unless your employer could show it was for sound business or legal reasons (for example, a taxi driver losing his\her sight could not stay as a taxi driver but there may be roles they could still do). Inform your employer that you are autistic and you would like to discuss some reasonable adjustments with them and will be contacting Access to Work who may provide some funding.  Do this in writing, email is best, as you will be able to keep a trail.

Access to work can provide training for staff, fund a support worker and perform a workplace assessment through their scheme, and your employer would be well advised to take notice of what they say.  Your own office or a quieter smaller office may not be unreasonable if your workplace has such accommodation even if it is being used at the moment.  They could also recommend  your employer provides a personal printer\scanner.

You might also suggest an appointment be made with occupational health but if possible do this after Access to Work as they it will help you with occupational health suggesting other adjustments.  And try to get a report.from the.person.who assessed.you as to.how.autism affects you at.work to.help back up what you want.

Your work colleagues would be guilty of discrimination in the same.way as someone treating someone badly due to.race.if they treated.you badly because of your autism and this is harrassment under the equality act.

Applying to.Access to Work.is easy, it is online and appointments.are.usually made.within two or three weeks. They are very sympathetic as their purpose is.to keep you in work. They will contact your employer but not until they have spoken to you.

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

You could also get your hours changed as a reasonable adjustment rather than as a flexible working arrangement.  In this case you would say that you are liable to stress and anxiety and working into the evening is a trigger for this.  There is more weight to this than a flexible working request which does not depend on a disability under the equality act.  Once this request for different hours is agreed it cannot be changed as it would be part of a reasonable adjustment and become contractual. 

• I would disclose.

Sounds obvious, but an employer is under no obligation for any adjustments should they not know of your autism. Disclosure can open a range of adjustments for you.

Open plan offices are not good for anyone least of all for someone autistic.  Adjustments could include changing your job role provided it is one the company has, or could use.  This could include promotion or removal of responsibilities if you wanted it.  Your responsibilities could not be removed by the employer alone unless your employer could show it was for sound business or legal reasons (for example, a taxi driver losing his\her sight could not stay as a taxi driver but there may be roles they could still do). Inform your employer that you are autistic and you would like to discuss some reasonable adjustments with them and will be contacting Access to Work who may provide some funding.  Do this in writing, email is best, as you will be able to keep a trail.

Access to work can provide training for staff, fund a support worker and perform a workplace assessment through their scheme, and your employer would be well advised to take notice of what they say.  Your own office or a quieter smaller office may not be unreasonable if your workplace has such accommodation even if it is being used at the moment.  They could also recommend  your employer provides a personal printer\scanner.

You might also suggest an appointment be made with occupational health but if possible do this after Access to Work as they it will help you with occupational health suggesting other adjustments.  And try to get a report.from the.person.who assessed.you as to.how.autism affects you at.work to.help back up what you want.

Your work colleagues would be guilty of discrimination in the same.way as someone treating someone badly due to.race.if they treated.you badly because of your autism and this is harrassment under the equality act.

Applying to.Access to Work.is easy, it is online and appointments.are.usually made.within two or three weeks. They are very sympathetic as their purpose is.to keep you in work. They will contact your employer but not until they have spoken to you.

https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

You could also get your hours changed as a reasonable adjustment rather than as a flexible working arrangement.  In this case you would say that you are liable to stress and anxiety and working into the evening is a trigger for this.  There is more weight to this than a flexible working request which does not depend on a disability under the equality act.  Once this request for different hours is agreed it cannot be changed as it would be part of a reasonable adjustment and become contractual. 

Children
No Data