Social services removing children from parents with ASD

Hi, 

I am an autistic adult who is a parent. Since having my daughter I went through a terrible time with social services who set me up to fail and removed my daughter from me because I have a diagnosis of autism. It took me two years to fight for my daughter back and through this time social services and Cafcass used the so called deficits of my autism to justify the removal and to stop the return of my daughter. Thankfully the judge saw through this and returned my daughter concluding in her judgment that I parent my daughter to a high standard. 

I want to know how many my adults will autism who are parents have been through a similar situation. How many parents with ASD and other disabilities and or impairments are being targeted by social services and having their children removed? If you have experienced this please tell your story because the current system is outrageously discriminative against parents who have a disability and or impairment and I would like to raise awareness of the current failures within the current child protection system which is targeting parents with disabilities and or impairments so that change can happen. 

Parents
  • This is also an issue I’m concerned about. I’m in Germany and I heard horror stories about families with any mental health issues. I’m not gonna try for the official diagnosis for few reasons, this is one of the main reasons. I wanna protect the unity of my family. I know that if we fall under the radar of Jugendamt, it’s gonna be tough for us. Looks like “child protection” is a big business in many countries. But for some reason the social services often fail to remove children from really abusive and pathological families with criminality, drugs, abuse and severe neglect. Maybe it’s because it would be hard for them to find a foster family for such traumatised children, as they often create problems and are seen as problems. I don’t want to generalise, because everywhere are good and bad people, however I’ve heard enough really bad stories from this field. I hope I can avoid having such experience. 

• This is also an issue I’m concerned about. I’m in Germany and I heard horror stories about families with any mental health issues. I’m not gonna try for the official diagnosis for few reasons, this is one of the main reasons. I wanna protect the unity of my family. I know that if we fall under the radar of Jugendamt, it’s gonna be tough for us. Looks like “child protection” is a big business in many countries. But for some reason the social services often fail to remove children from really abusive and pathological families with criminality, drugs, abuse and severe neglect. Maybe it’s because it would be hard for them to find a foster family for such traumatised children, as they often create problems and are seen as problems. I don’t want to generalise, because everywhere are good and bad people, however I’ve heard enough really bad stories from this field. I hope I can avoid having such experience. 

Children
No Data