Turning down parties

How do you guys go about turning down parties? I can't deal with big social events at all and avoid them like the plague for a variety of reasons (anxious amongst lots of people, will not dress up for going out, hardly like any food so meals are a problem, noise, can't deal with all the conversations). I don't really like to explain this to people especially as I'm not diagnosed so I can't even give that as a reason. I usually go with distance or money. There is a party being organised for work at the moment and several people are trying to persuade me to go. I find these conversations very difficult and they keep coming up with solutions to my reasons for not going. How would other people deal with this?

Parents
  • Err...

laugh in their faces, then loudly declare, "I have to spend every working day with you Idiots, why the hell would I want to spend my personal time with you as well?!?!

• This made me laugh. I think - from reading a later post - that you've edited it to replace a word that DC (Disallowed Cynosure) commented on. I don't care which words you use (and I'm a "lady" , well, female anyway) - so called "swear"words being colour and passion to our language, in my opinion. In this forum we read so many sad stories, and although they are useful and helpful, it's good to read something that resonates completely with how I think. Thank you for posting.

• This made me laugh. I think - from reading a later post - that you've edited it to replace a word that DC (Disallowed Cynosure) commented on. I don't care which words you use (and I'm a "lady" , well, female anyway) - so called "swear"words being colour and passion to our language, in my opinion. In this forum we read so many sad stories, and although they are useful and helpful, it's good to read something that resonates completely with how I think. Thank you for posting.

Children
No Data