Petition to make neurodiversity a separate protected characteristic in the UK

I promised to do this a while ago, and now I'm finally getting around to it. The petition will be on petition.parliament.uk. The character counts are extremely limited, so it was difficult to provide the needed information in the available space. Please let me know what you think of the text below, because this is for all of us and not just me. Note that the information I have provided (see the links) is also from a government website, so they can't really refute that.

The title of the petition is:

Make neurodiversity a separate protected characteristic.

The background I have written is:

Neurodivergent individuals, e.g. those with autism or Tourette's, often suffer discrimination due to their condition, whether or not their condition amounts to a disabilty. Making neurodiversity a protected characteristic in itself, separate from disability, would be a step in the right direction.

Here are the additional details I have written:

Neurodivergent individuals are denied both fair treatment and mental health services at a higher rate than in the general population. As a result, the unemployment and suicide rates in the neurodivergent group are disproportionately higher as well. Presently, they are obliged to prove that their condition amounts to a disability in order to be legally protected from the discrimination and mistreatment to which they so often fall victim. Further info: tinyurl.com/y829k3oh & tinyurl.com/yavfxmod.

PS I need 5 emails addresses for supporters of the petition, so if anyone is a UK citizen and willing to "officially" support the petition, please PM me. I can likely get some from people I know, but maybe not all five that I need (I don't know many people).

Thanks.

(Edited based on comments received)

Parents
  • Hi there, when I first read the description about having neurodiversity as a protected characteristic. My initial thought was 'Why didn't I think of this?'. I believe it to be a brilliant suggestion and hopefully be enforced if accepted as a tenth protected characteristic. I mean just thinking about the possibility of coming that would be a dream come true. After several years, of being treated unfairly, prejudice amongst other various elements it can come to somewhat of an end. In the sense that, with the law initiated it can take full effect. However, the hard work will be tested and sure to be unsilenced in many ways.

I don't see why it can't happen. If the Equality Act 2010 can be put into force why not add another one? There is no wrong answer or objection in my view to why this cannot be a reality. Nothing is too big or too small. At the same time, I do not want this to be the be all and end all. Let's say if this was a protected characteristic now how can the attitudes and feelings change even if this act was in place.

The reason why, I mention this is due to the concerns of being exposed, taken advantage of, vulnerability and so forth. Not to say for those without autism don't equally have these issues. But, from an autistic point of view there are many people who are 'victims' or 'targets' to what I consider as being a threat. 

At the same time, flip the coin things will only get worse if nothing changes. Not just get worse people's lives are in jeopardy (perhaps more than I realise) and I don't want it to be 'too late situation' for another tragedy to happen for then to say there was no protection etc.

• The reason why, I mention this is due to the concerns of being exposed, taken advantage of, vulnerability and so forth. Not to say for those without autism don't equally have these issues. But, from an autistic point of view there are many people who are 'victims' or 'targets' to what I consider as being a threat. 

We are already victims and targets. This would simply grant us the needed legal protection.

• I acknowledge your point. I do believe in fairness, justice amongst other components. If we do have neurodiversity as a tenth protected characteristic under the Equality Act it would make a such a positive difference just to have that level of security and protection.

• I acknowledge your point. I do believe in fairness, justice amongst other components. If we do have neurodiversity as a tenth protected characteristic under the Equality Act it would make a such a positive difference just to have that level of security and protection.

Children
No Data