Job Possibilities

Hello,

I am a uni student in life sciences at a top UK university, top student in my class, straight As, won a few awards. I have extensive customer service experience, and some limited experience in life sciences research but I don't think any of my references would speak particularly highly of me. Due to my Asperger's syndrome, I find social interaction and practical tasks hard and struggle in the workplace despite my qualifications on paper making me look like an excellent candidate. I get extremely anxious and low when things go wrong, even when it's not my fault, to the point of planning my own suicide whilst in some jobs. Other jobs I have coped slightly better, but I still do not enjoy them and do not excel at them, and they do not give me the 'space' to improve my mental health. 

I want input from others with autism/or with experience with autistic people on what I should do in terms of a job for the future after graduation? The natural career progression for me now is to do a PhD, but I'm not sure if I'll get in due to a lack of networking skills. Even if I do, I might struggle and become very stressed if I can't pick up the technique, or things don't go to plan. A research job would follow this. I'm also very motivated by money, and although I would accept the minimum wage for the good of my health, I'd at least like the possibility of making more. I will give a list of my characteristics below and see if anyone has any suggestions for jobs that might be suitable for me after graduation.

• Low pressure level - not life or death, or dealing with large amounts of money, or tiny time frames - so mistakes are not too costly
  • Preferably simple tasks physically (e.g. on a computer, rather than complex lab work) that still challenge me mentally
  • You are given space and time away from people to carry out the job, rather than being put on the spot
  • No members of the public
  • Preferably biology related
  • Inclusive environment (not a every-man-for-himself competitive path)
  • Liveable wage

Parents
  • You sound like you are in a very similar situation to me. I’m used to making a relatively good wage and wouldn’t accept anything less than at least £10,000. a month now. Because, I have realised, I simply can’t work for anybody else ever again, due to the whole workplace scenario thing so if I’m going to work for myself, I’m going to set my own wage and I might as well make it a good one. 

However, that’s not to say that it’s not possible for other people to have jobs. I highly recommend you get in touch with Autism Plus - I’m sure there are other organisations that provide this support but my current experience with them is excellent. 

They will help you to navigate through this because they see things and know things that we don’t see or know. So in my experience, their input is essential to success and having a partner in our endeavours, is absolutely essential, however they appear. 

You’re doing great. Well done. 

You’ve got a tremendous start. You know your strengths and weakness and you just need somebody to help you put it altogether to find what the perfect way forward will be for you.  

• You sound like you are in a very similar situation to me. I’m used to making a relatively good wage and wouldn’t accept anything less than at least £10,000. a month now. Because, I have realised, I simply can’t work for anybody else ever again, due to the whole workplace scenario thing so if I’m going to work for myself, I’m going to set my own wage and I might as well make it a good one. 

However, that’s not to say that it’s not possible for other people to have jobs. I highly recommend you get in touch with Autism Plus - I’m sure there are other organisations that provide this support but my current experience with them is excellent. 

They will help you to navigate through this because they see things and know things that we don’t see or know. So in my experience, their input is essential to success and having a partner in our endeavours, is absolutely essential, however they appear. 

You’re doing great. Well done. 

You’ve got a tremendous start. You know your strengths and weakness and you just need somebody to help you put it altogether to find what the perfect way forward will be for you.  

Children