“I don’t let autism stop me.” Urgh

I have seen these phrase spoken by on TV by those on the Spectrum. 

Does anyone else feel that this simplistic statement is insulting to those who are limited by their Autism? For example I would like to do things NT’s do but I know my ASD won’t let me.

Parents
  • I think the statement can be contradicting and misleading. Saying that, depending on the severity and extent whether mild, moderate or severe. It is more related to barrier or restriction in some way of the quality of life. For some people it can cause great anxiety and stress to 'come out of their shell'. But, looking back now, I may have some differences with certain situations but it doesn't mean it cannot be adjusted or be found in an alternative (a way around it).

For me, I just had to live a life, I am still the same e.g. I am breathing, moving, eating but some things require a more laid out, step by step method. It does not mean I am not capable it just means I may need additional help or support. It is true that autism affects many people differently as we all know no two people are the same. The word 'autism' comes in so much depth and context. In other words, there are different forms of autism not just the detailed description of the condition for e.g. Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified' otherwise known as PDD-NOS.

Most people just think autism just by the term literally. There are people on the spectrum who are both verbal or non-verbal etc. To only think of autism in one way gives a misinterpretation and lack of understanding in my opinion. I am not an expert but I think more should be done for all on the spectrum to really address the condition and separate the truth from the ridiculous. Autistic people can be successful in many areas of life no matter how big or small.

• I think the statement can be contradicting and misleading. Saying that, depending on the severity and extent whether mild, moderate or severe. It is more related to barrier or restriction in some way of the quality of life. For some people it can cause great anxiety and stress to 'come out of their shell'. But, looking back now, I may have some differences with certain situations but it doesn't mean it cannot be adjusted or be found in an alternative (a way around it).

For me, I just had to live a life, I am still the same e.g. I am breathing, moving, eating but some things require a more laid out, step by step method. It does not mean I am not capable it just means I may need additional help or support. It is true that autism affects many people differently as we all know no two people are the same. The word 'autism' comes in so much depth and context. In other words, there are different forms of autism not just the detailed description of the condition for e.g. Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified' otherwise known as PDD-NOS.

Most people just think autism just by the term literally. There are people on the spectrum who are both verbal or non-verbal etc. To only think of autism in one way gives a misinterpretation and lack of understanding in my opinion. I am not an expert but I think more should be done for all on the spectrum to really address the condition and separate the truth from the ridiculous. Autistic people can be successful in many areas of life no matter how big or small.

Children
No Data