Lots of issues. I need more support.

I feel that I should be living in a supported unit with staff. I don't get enough care at home. My social worker doesn't listen and hardly contacts me. I am terrified of a dental appointment that I need to go to on Thursday. Crying all the time and feeling distressed because of it. I have no food in at home at the moment. I missed my shopping day last Wednesday. I hardly have any money. What can I do?. 

Parents
  • I remember the last time I had a checkup I had a panic attack. I don't know how many years ago that was, but I'm regretting not going since.

It might be worth talking with your dentist about sedation. It might mean that your next appointment is delayed if there's any further preparation required, but it might work better than a regular appointment.

• Thanks Tony. Should I go to the first appointment on Thursday and then decide about sedation after that?. I have been having panic attacks again today.  We're you supposed to have a lot of treatment or was it the check up that gave you the panic attack?. My bottom front teeth hurt at the moment and look stained and I have receding gums. It's worrying. 

And thanks, Heather-Mod. I will have a look at the webpage and ring the helpline. I was thinking of asking about living in the supported housing in Northenden in Manchester that is mentioned on here. It sounds like they offer the kind of support that I need. 

• It was the checkup. I've never liked the feel of metal against my teeth and she was pressing so hard I thought the tooth might break. I'd always tolerated dental treatment as a child but something just got to me that day.

I think you should go to the appointment, even if it's only to discuss the possibility of sedation the next time. If you're brave enough to go, perhaps I can do the same.

• I think some of the anxiety may be coming from your anticipation of the dentist's reaction. I keep imagining mine saying "You're not looking after them very well!" and that's another reason I've stayed away.

It might be worth making a list on paper - not all in one go, just as you think of things - which you're worried about at the dentist's. Tell your friend who's going with you that you'd like to discuss these with the dentist before you sit in the chair. Your friend will, hopefully support you in the event that the dentist simply wants to get on with it.

Ask about sedation. I read somewhere that the sedatives make it as though you don't remember the procedure, which I think is a huge plus.

To be honest, I hadn't thought of any of this until I read your original post, so I'm going to give this a try too. Just take it one step at a time. I can't promise it'll be stress free, but hopefully you'll get through it and start enjoying things again.

It might be useful to think of something you used to enjoy and think about why you enjoyed it.

• I think some of the anxiety may be coming from your anticipation of the dentist's reaction. I keep imagining mine saying "You're not looking after them very well!" and that's another reason I've stayed away.

It might be worth making a list on paper - not all in one go, just as you think of things - which you're worried about at the dentist's. Tell your friend who's going with you that you'd like to discuss these with the dentist before you sit in the chair. Your friend will, hopefully support you in the event that the dentist simply wants to get on with it.

Ask about sedation. I read somewhere that the sedatives make it as though you don't remember the procedure, which I think is a huge plus.

To be honest, I hadn't thought of any of this until I read your original post, so I'm going to give this a try too. Just take it one step at a time. I can't promise it'll be stress free, but hopefully you'll get through it and start enjoying things again.

It might be useful to think of something you used to enjoy and think about why you enjoyed it.

Children
No Data