Autistic Legal help - Searching for a lawyer

Hi I'm looking for legal help that is mindful of my conditions and how they've effected my life.

I have a criminal record due to my fascination with how things work which prevents solicitors taking me on as a client i believe. I am looking to take legal action against my father for years of violent and emotional abuse that has now caused me to have PTSD adding additional problems to my life that i didn't need and separately, the police for a potential wrongful arrest and mistreatment that too has caused me to be terrified that SWAT will break in through my windows, that every car door that slams on my fronts will be them coming to get me. 

I feel i am justified in my request for help but every time in searching for a lawyer via lawsociety.org.uk has turned up no positive results. The time frames for the violent and emotional abuse have run out, but we simply could not do anything about it while living under the culture of fear in the family home. I need to feel some justice in a world that has taken too much from me and i'm really sort of giving this a long shot attempted that somebody around here could point me in a fruitful direction. 

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.

• It will be pretty difficult to win this case because you have no evidence of bullying. I don't know much about the law, but I'm sure you have to gather enough evidence to prove someone's guilt. The fact that you can't find a lawyer to help you surprises me. I always turn to lawyers for help. I recently was in a car accident and, on the recommendation of a friend, called the https://www.sutliffstout.com/houston-car-accident-lawyer/ and for a good reason. These guys helped me prove that the accident was not my mistake.

• this thread seems to come up regularly so for reference NAS keeps a list of solicitors and legal advice services on its website you can refer to. Sadly it's not very up to date but you can find it here.

• I used to live in a toxic and violent household. My uncle used to be such a good man who loved me with all of his heart. Once he came to our house unannounced and saw my father beating me. He immediately stood up for me. Later he took me to his home and hired a [Removed by Mod] to write a motion for domestic abuse and file a case. He went to trial, and my parents lost. They had to pay me money as moral compensation, and they also lost their parenting rights, gaining some other things. You could try and reach out to her. She is a great attorney for such cases.

[Edited by Suzanne Mod]

• Believe me that none of us is a perfect person, and it is customary to make mistakes. It is good that you want me to correct you and start everything from the beginning. I understand you very well because when I was a teenager, I also had many problems with my parents. You felt like the last unpleasant thing, but fortunately, they saved me [removed by moderator] and they helped me get through all the legal issues. I hope you will not miss the chance and mobilize to get over this problem.

[Edited by Suzanne Mod]

• As they say, no one does as much damage to us as our parents. I was sorry to read what you wrote and to learn about your story. When my father was physically abusive to my mother and me, I felt like the whole world had given up on me. Then vasaadvokat.se helped us. If anyone else is looking for help from a lawyer in a similar situation, you can listen to me because I went through it myself, and I managed to get a distance and inviolability agreement. After the trial, my father threatened me several times, and after his last threat, he was put on a police record.

• Our son is autistic, and we've been on a constant emotional rollercoaster because of people not reacting normally towards his disorder.

• Hi NAS72576,

Thank you for your comment. I have deleted the name and the affiliated link of the company since it breaks number 7 in our rules:
    Recommendations are welcome. If you’ve found a service, book, helpline, or product helpful, feel free to share. If you are using an affiliate link, please advise of this in your post or comment. We do not allow users to register an account with us primarily to advertise, or sell, products and services.
    You can find our rules in full here:
    Thank you for joining our community!
    All the best,
    Eunice Mod
  • Sorry for bumping this thread, but I've recently also faced issues and had to look for the legal help. Based on my own experience, I can suggest addressing (Remove by Mod). This company aims to solve issues connected to law and disability. I can recommend it with confidence. If you want to find out more about it, you can check (Removed by Mod).

• Hi NAS37062,

You can contact the Helpline by email using the online enquiry form here: https://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main/form.aspx

Regards,

Kerri-Mod

• This just makes my heart sink. I could sell my computer equipment and get some money to pay a lawyer, why would they not take my case if i'm paying them at least? 

This is all so wrong!

• Just to point out some additional notes; I began with a deep interest in gardening and surrounding topics and this led me to discover cannabis. I've never been able to seek out some sort of drug dealer to get help with this because i don't know anybody, as i don't leave the house much. I really strongly believe this is prejudicial for a lawyer to not take my case because of this. 

On this subject too, would it be possible to take the crown to court? I am becoming very upset lately about living in a country i did not ask to be born into, overseen by a "royal" family (with heavy german ties) and feel that their laws have infringed on my human rights over which they have no control in a moderate world. This upsets me to the point of tears as i'm a small piece of dust in a world of elephants, nobody hears my cries and i'm looked upon a fool for even thinking this. 

• Sorry for the delay in replying. I will look at the NAS directory now, thank you. 

I'm unable to call because of my phone anxiety, would there be an email address i can correspond with instead? I've notified my Mum i'm trying to do something with legal help but would prefer to try to do this without a lot of help from her. She already does enough for me.

• Hi NAS37062,

You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who are best suited to answer your question. They can provide you with information and advice. You can call them on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is experiencing a high volume of calls and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

Please see the following link for further information:

http://www.autism.org.uk/services/helplines/main.aspx

In the meantime you might find suitable legal services via the NAS services directory, if you haven't already had a look?:  http://www.autism.org.uk/directory.aspx  

Best wishes,

Heather - Mod

• There are many of us on this site who have been victims of domestic abuse, but there's just very little chance of taking the perpetrators to court. Your arrest record should not stop you from doing so, but the time limit would. It's not particularly fair but it is the law.

As far as the arrest, if someone else makes a complaint, the police are obliged to arrest the person. You might be better off taking the neighbour who made the accusation to court, if the accusation was malicious or false. I imagine that lawyers would still be reluctant to represent you in such action.

• This is not what you have asked for, and may not be much help, but there are a few 'expert witnesses' listed for Autism which may help to explain your behaviour or give a statement for you when you have a suitable barrister/solicitor:

https://www.jspubs.com/expert-witness/si/a/autism/

• Thank you for the reply and the suggestion. For clarification:

The record is due to my growing cannabis for personal medical use. It is the only thing that will not destroy my health and not turn me into a zombie while relieving my crippling anxiety, stress and manic depression. Before an interjection i'll add these symptoms were severely worse before undertaking this medication and i strongly take offensive to those that, without proof, claim to know more than myself regarding my own personal health and choices thereof. 

I reached out to my MP about the above issue and if they would lobby for medical users such as myself but they responded with uneducated gargle. Another disappointing blow for my beyond weary soul.

The arrest was "wrongful" in that it was because of a housing injunction due to my landlord not liking my general way of living; I just seem at odds to neighbours. I didn't break any laws, i was not charged with anything and shouting (aka having a meltdown) was not a stipulated cause for arrest on the injunction. Behaviour that caused the injunction includes not clearing my rubbish in the yard, painting "my" shed, shouting (melting down privately in my own walls), and primarily calling my neighbour fat on twitter, which he is. This was after they became intolerant of me without cause and spat on my offer of friendship. I'm a homosexual and the above fat neighbours are too and i expected to bond over this given it was my friend home and first real interaction with a gay couple and extended interaction with other gay people. 

I do not believe these two things should stop me being able to take my father to court for inflicting the damage he has upon me. I suffer from PTSD and i'm forced to relive horrible situations my mother, sister and i endured. My mother and sister have settled with the notion that nothing can be done, that we should have cried for help when we were in the middle of it all (a laughable suggestion for anybody that has lived through abuse like this) and they think i should give up too. I can not give up. I am haunted and i need to see justice dealt to this man. Are we to just think of ourselves in shame for not having a stronger backbone, for not wanting to be further harmed when attempting to 'get out'?

Things he has done, and that i have recently told police, include shooting my pet rats while i was not home. They had been moved from the dining room to the shed after i began to suffer from germ-phobia and this was, naturally, my fathers response to that: To destroy those i love instead of cleaning them for me and directing me to help. My sister witnessed this. We couldn't do anything at the time; we had nowhere to go and he was so violently powerful in his reign over us.

I would still appreciate replies from others with suggestions. Thank you. 

I will use these posts as reference to send to law people so i don't have to type it out again.

• I'm not a legal professional, but as far as I am aware, legal types are pretty strict about time frames. As for the wrongful arrest, the fact that you already have a criminal record probably partly justifies an arrest, especially if you were arrested for something related to that. I can see why lawyers don't want to take your case because there is little chance of winning. My experience is that the world isn't fair and there really is no justice.

You could try the Disability Law Service (google that and you will find their website) and they will no doubt have better informed information for you.

I hope you are able to get your life back after your previous experiences.