Parents
  • To progress towards having a job I have: tried various online courses; read books and websites about jobs; studied subjects in detail whilst I liked them. Currently I'm studying stock market investing. I got bored of every other job I looked into so I don't know what else I would do.

You'll find that a lot of jobs are boring, especially entry level jobs until you are given responsibility and are able to progress up the career ladder. You pretty much have to suck it up and do the boring jobs to get a shot at the not boring jobs (unless you're lucky enough to have a great aptitude in a profession that's short of labour), there are very few reasonably or well paid jobs that are genuinely enjoyable from the start, primarily because competition for them is high and so they will be looking for the candidate that demonstrates drive, ability, aptitude and dedication.

A lot of people will tell you to follow your heart, don't, follow your head. Plan out what you want from work, how much you want to be paid, what kind of hours and commute you will be ok with, what work you are capable of, see what options that gives you, then narrow that down further by looking at what employment prospects you have in those sectors. That will be things like required education, experience, skills, who you know who can give you a leg up etc. Once you've done that you'll have a final shortlist, see what jobs are available and apply for them all, then take it from there.

• To progress towards having a job I have: tried various online courses; read books and websites about jobs; studied subjects in detail whilst I liked them. Currently I'm studying stock market investing. I got bored of every other job I looked into so I don't know what else I would do.

You'll find that a lot of jobs are boring, especially entry level jobs until you are given responsibility and are able to progress up the career ladder. You pretty much have to suck it up and do the boring jobs to get a shot at the not boring jobs (unless you're lucky enough to have a great aptitude in a profession that's short of labour), there are very few reasonably or well paid jobs that are genuinely enjoyable from the start, primarily because competition for them is high and so they will be looking for the candidate that demonstrates drive, ability, aptitude and dedication.

A lot of people will tell you to follow your heart, don't, follow your head. Plan out what you want from work, how much you want to be paid, what kind of hours and commute you will be ok with, what work you are capable of, see what options that gives you, then narrow that down further by looking at what employment prospects you have in those sectors. That will be things like required education, experience, skills, who you know who can give you a leg up etc. Once you've done that you'll have a final shortlist, see what jobs are available and apply for them all, then take it from there.

Children
  • I would personally advise against applying for too many roles. Each application needs to be properly tailored and targeted - do not use a generic CV, re-write your CV each time to fit the description of the job you are applying for. 

I doubt I would entertain more than (say) 3 open applications at any one time, otherwise there's too much going on.

Not doing your research on the company you have applied to is also bad form. Make sure you know more about the company (and the likely problems they need you to solve) than the overwhelming majority of other candidates.