ASD and psychosis

Hi all, 

I'm really happy to find so many people, especially women, on the spectrum as I'm struggling to find someone in person. I was diagnosed with Asperger's 2.5 weeks ago, aged 23... not too long ago! I've been finding it very difficult to cope over the last 10 months, and 2 weeks ago I was referred to an early psychosis intervention community mental health team by my psychiatrist after hearing voices and seeing things which aren't real. I'm really worried I cannot cope for much longer and will have to drop out of my PhD, which is the main area I obsess over!

Has anybody else suffered with this, is this normal for Aspies to go through? Does anybody have any advice about what helps, or any other useful ideas?

I'm looking forward to reading through people's experiences... Have a great day!

E x

Parents
  • E, said:

"I've been finding it very difficult to cope over the last 10 months, and 2 weeks ago I was referred to an early psychosis intervention community mental health team by my psychiatrist after hearing voices and seeing things which aren't real."

Has anybody else suffered with this, is this normal for Aspies to go through? Does anybody have any advice about what helps, or any other useful ideas?"

Hearing voices and seeing things which appear to be there only others do not see them ~ is normal for Aspies and others who experience these sort of things.

I have been having such experiences my whole life ~ started pleasantly and informatively enough, got into the darker territories during secondary school with hearing voices telling me not only to kill but also how to kill as a result of being bullied, and after school the ear-lug nasties carried on until the age of 27 ~ when things became pleasant and informative enough again and my pacifism continued on unabated to this day for me at the age of very nearly 47.

At the age though of 12 ~ I was diagnosed as being quote 'Schizotypal and/or Psychopathic'.

As a young undiagnosed Aspergian (until 45) I had the psychological reading age proficiency of a post graduate, and read quite extensively on such experiences as mentioned, ranging from comparative metaphysics, philosophy and religion from 6 to 8, up to sociology a bit and psychology a whole lot from 19. I have met and worked with many people who have experiences much like mine and much like or the same as yours.

There are many different ways to deal with or resolve the issues you are having, whether that be pharmacological, psychological or what-have-you. The question is ~ what variety of generally unheard and unseen states of affairs are you hearing and seeing, i.e. are the voices of a particularly different quality to hearing someone speaking loudly or quietly to you in the near or far vicinity or time frame, and are the things you see luminous, spectral, shadowy, opaque, geometric and/or even cartoon-like?

• E, said:

"I've been finding it very difficult to cope over the last 10 months, and 2 weeks ago I was referred to an early psychosis intervention community mental health team by my psychiatrist after hearing voices and seeing things which aren't real."

Has anybody else suffered with this, is this normal for Aspies to go through? Does anybody have any advice about what helps, or any other useful ideas?"

Hearing voices and seeing things which appear to be there only others do not see them ~ is normal for Aspies and others who experience these sort of things.

I have been having such experiences my whole life ~ started pleasantly and informatively enough, got into the darker territories during secondary school with hearing voices telling me not only to kill but also how to kill as a result of being bullied, and after school the ear-lug nasties carried on until the age of 27 ~ when things became pleasant and informative enough again and my pacifism continued on unabated to this day for me at the age of very nearly 47.

At the age though of 12 ~ I was diagnosed as being quote 'Schizotypal and/or Psychopathic'.

As a young undiagnosed Aspergian (until 45) I had the psychological reading age proficiency of a post graduate, and read quite extensively on such experiences as mentioned, ranging from comparative metaphysics, philosophy and religion from 6 to 8, up to sociology a bit and psychology a whole lot from 19. I have met and worked with many people who have experiences much like mine and much like or the same as yours.

There are many different ways to deal with or resolve the issues you are having, whether that be pharmacological, psychological or what-have-you. The question is ~ what variety of generally unheard and unseen states of affairs are you hearing and seeing, i.e. are the voices of a particularly different quality to hearing someone speaking loudly or quietly to you in the near or far vicinity or time frame, and are the things you see luminous, spectral, shadowy, opaque, geometric and/or even cartoon-like?

Children
No Data