I have an idea

Hi all,

I have come up with an idea for a project and was wondering if anyone could help/give feedback.

What do people think of autism friendly places/activities?

The idea is an app specifically for the UK that has all the different places/activities that are autism friendly on a map. It would include a suggestions post where people could add a place they thought was appropriate. 

Any comments would be great

Thanks

Parents
  • Hi NAS35595,

It's a nice idea on paper. My challenge would be, since people with autism suffer in different ways and find challenges with different things, how do you suggest we can create an "autism-friendly" place if the experiences are so diverse? What would "autism-friendly" involve?x

Much love <3

• There was an autism friendly cafe/restaurant/coffee shop in Australia that was started by a couple with an autistic son. They wanted a place where they could go out to together. So at their place, people can bring their own food if they’ve got particular likes etc. It’s decor is neutral and staff are trained to not freak out if a kid or someone starts freaking out or not to stare if a kid has what some people consider unusual mannerisms. They are sensitive to customers needs.

My friend also goes on holiday to an autism friendly holiday place. She said it’s expensive but her son can run around like he likes to without anybody feeling worried or complaining. She said it’s worth it because all the families there have someone with autism so there’s a lot of understanding and a hell of a lot less stress for her and her son and daughter get to enjoy themselves in different ways. There’s no pressure on them to conform to a certain way. 

There are some restaurants in the uk that are autism friendly but I haven’t been to any of them yet.

I think it’s probably more about acceptance. If I had an autism friendly coffee shop, I would like it to be quite, with maybe a couple of sensory rooms. I would look at soft lighting and offer different ways people could order their food etc. For example, menus in different formats that would suit a variety of communication styles. If somebody had a meltdown while in there, people would be helpful and understanding rather than scared or judgemental or whatever. 

The ap could describe the venue and what it offers and people could decide before going there if it would be somewhere they might like to go. Maybe one place is good for one person but not for another, but if the information is in one place, people could at least search for possibilities. 

• There was an autism friendly cafe/restaurant/coffee shop in Australia that was started by a couple with an autistic son. They wanted a place where they could go out to together. So at their place, people can bring their own food if they’ve got particular likes etc. It’s decor is neutral and staff are trained to not freak out if a kid or someone starts freaking out or not to stare if a kid has what some people consider unusual mannerisms. They are sensitive to customers needs.

My friend also goes on holiday to an autism friendly holiday place. She said it’s expensive but her son can run around like he likes to without anybody feeling worried or complaining. She said it’s worth it because all the families there have someone with autism so there’s a lot of understanding and a hell of a lot less stress for her and her son and daughter get to enjoy themselves in different ways. There’s no pressure on them to conform to a certain way. 

There are some restaurants in the uk that are autism friendly but I haven’t been to any of them yet.

I think it’s probably more about acceptance. If I had an autism friendly coffee shop, I would like it to be quite, with maybe a couple of sensory rooms. I would look at soft lighting and offer different ways people could order their food etc. For example, menus in different formats that would suit a variety of communication styles. If somebody had a meltdown while in there, people would be helpful and understanding rather than scared or judgemental or whatever. 

The ap could describe the venue and what it offers and people could decide before going there if it would be somewhere they might like to go. Maybe one place is good for one person but not for another, but if the information is in one place, people could at least search for possibilities. 

Children
No Data