Autism vs You Think You Are On The spectrum

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the Forum. Apart from starting a previous Thread regarding 'Grief/ Trauma' have stayed in the background and reading many posts. What often strikes me is the level of self diagnosis. Sometimes it might feel, I get the sense of ASD but often I do not. It feels like something else. 

I begin to wonder if ASD is a more acceptable label. Obviously I'm aware that this is a Spectrum and understand the level of challenges are extremely diverse. I also know that ASD can have secondary difficulties, for example anxiety and depression. 

Sometimes though, reading through posts, I feel that some members of this Forum have a different set of challenges which possibly have nothing to do with ASD. 

Overall I find an obsession with ASD and a lot of immediate validation. 

There are threads about assessment and how the AQ test could be an indicator. How the GP won't listen etc 

From what I read, there are a fair few Forum Members who have a lot of contact with mental health and social services. Often they have self diagnosed ASD too. 

And possibly this raises questions?

ASD can have multiple secondary complications. 

Personally I think a lot of the responses on this Forum do not have anything to do with ASD. 

When you have ASD, live with this day and day out, it's only then you realise the true difference. It's very difficult indeed. Not something you can easily describe. 

I feel this forum is attracting members who have read about autism. Members who have pre existing, diagnosed mental health problems, who want to call the whole thing autism. 

JEP

Parents
  • I had therapy for many years prior to my diagnosis and found it extremely helpful.  It helped me to understand so much about my difficulties and my behaviours - especially in childhood.  It also helped by giving me signposts... which I wanted, because I wanted to have a name.  I didn't want a label, but I wanted a diagnosis so that I could get a proper and more rounded understanding.  And why not?  If someone is feeling lethargic a lot all of a sudden, and is going to the loo more times than usual, and has raging thirsts, they're going to want to know why.  And if the diagnosis is diabetes, then they have something they can work with.  They can make adjustments and get treatments.  It doesn't meant they're going to define their lives by it necessarily, or walk around with the label 'diabetic.'  They might use internet forums for fellow sufferers to share stories and get insights.  It doesn't mean it's become an obsession.  But anyone who gets a diagnosis of anything at all - from athlete's foot to cancer - is naturally going to take more of an interest in the subject and probably seek to find out more.

So... my therapist was great.  It was the diagnosticians, the so-called mental health professionals, who let me down.  In my experience, it seems that they always started from the assumption that you were either making things up or grossly exaggerating them.  So, when I went to a psych with a list of symptoms which included incapacitating depression and anxiety, panic attacks, mood swings, a frequent and ongoing sense of dysphoria and 'emptiness', emotional instability, substance misuse, disturbed behaviour patterns in always dysfunctional relationships, and constant suicide ideation... and then got told 'I can tell from looking at you that you don't have a personality disorder'... well, I think I can be forgiven for thinking that these people might not be properly qualified to do the job.  I might not have had their 'learned' understanding - but I knew what I went through from the inside.  That's why, for a long time, I self-diagnosed with BPD.  Because I needed something to help me to understand.  I needed that context.  Time and again I got referrals, time and again I was turned away.  I was told that if I stopped drinking, all of my other symptoms would go away.  It was a waste of time my arguing that I drank because of my symptoms (at the same time as acknowledging that it probably made them worse).  I even sat down one day and started to write a journal of my days, my moods, my thoughts, my behaviours.  Within 6 weeks, I had 75,000 words down.  I turned it into a novel about a man trying to cope with mental illness in a world that didn't seem to care.  Reading it now, 5 years down the line, one thing jumps out at me.  It is a graphic account of living with ASC.  I just didn't know it then.  I actually gave a copy of that novel to the psych who diagnosed me.  I told her that it was unelaborated.  That each day recorded was each day as I lived it.  She had no hesitation in making a diagnosis, based on both my testimonies in interviews, my test results... and my book.

Having my diagnosis has changed my life.  My mental health has improved in many ways because now I have something that I can use to help me to understand things.  Autism is a big thing in my life, I admit it.  Because it explains my life.  It's like the Turing machine that's broken the Enigma code of me, and enabled me to make sense, at long last, of the messages in my head.

And if I'd never managed to get that formal clinical diagnosis, would I now self-diagnose?

Absolutely.

• Well said Tom. I have a history of mh professionals. From useless textbook counselling to intuitive and caring. I have the bpd handbook on my shelf for exactly the same reason. If I hadn't kept bumping into people and dropping things and a colleague commenting on it I would never have found out. I hadn't a clue about ND at all and yes it does explain my whole life. I'm hoping I can use the information to turn my life round but this part is a long process too. 

• I haven't at any point said or alluded to that a Member on this Forum who self - diagnosed should not be here. If that has ever come across then I apologise. 

Part of me regrets starting this Thread. Perhaps if I had explained myself better from the outset then I would feel different. But through reading replies I've learnt too. And I really do thanks Members for their tolerance, patience.

But unfortunately I do still question self diagnosis for ASD and MH conditions. Doing so carries risks and may prevent someone getting the right type of professional help. 

There may be a benefit to not seeking out a label at all. 

For example: there have been sustained periods (years I mean) where I have felt at peace, healthy, productive etc

And I think that this mainly was due to environmental factors, finding the right match for me. I knew a bit about autism but hadn't for one moment thought it applied to me. In retrospect though - now I understand more, I can now see how I'd without realising, sought out, carved a lifestyle which suited me quite well. 

Because I feel environment plays a huge factor, I'm trying to think of ways to achieve a formula which helps me again. No one can really do that for you. A good therapist, who understands you well, can help as a valuable sounding board and support. 

JEP

• Self diagnosis can often be the start point but hopefully also leads to an assessment by a suitably qualified professional. Whether you think you may have diabetes, cancer, ASD, mental health disorders and so on. 
    Due to the sheer amount of information available online, people research and self diagnose - one risk here is not only misdiagnosis and then not receiving the correct help but also panic and anxiety. 
    On the other hand regarding ASD - to self identify can suddenly make you feel as if the jigsaw fits together.
    ASD assessment though is complex plus lengthy and involves corroboration from family members, teachers, tutors, sometimes other medical professionals etc. A lot of information gathering.
    There are many differential diagnoses to be ruled out first or to be included. Particularly in adults - there's a lot to unpack through careful, skilled, comprehensive assessment, including blood tests (sometimes). There can often be comorbidity or trimorbidity etc
    The quality of assessment can also vary considerably depending on the credentials and knowledge of the assessors. 
    Further: diagnosis in female adults can also be quite difficult too. Here's one article on autism in women in case of interest:
    Regarding labels: sometimes it can be helpful to put a name to something because then one understands more about what you're dealing with. But only becomes usually helpful if this in a safe therapeutic environment with the correct level of professional support, intervention and guidance. That's when the healing starts through learning more about yourself and gaining new skills or in some cases medical intervention to help alleviate uncomfortable symptoms. 
    Whatever our problems/ challenges might be - a broken leg, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, ASD etc - we have a self responsibility and to others to ensure we seek out suitable professional help. 
    I know a couple of people with ASD who were diagnosed young (I knew them then too) and through receiving excellent support cope with adulthood very well indeed. Almost as if their position on the spectrum has changed and I suspect that can happen or fluctuates. But when they were children their presentation was quite severe and they faced lots of difficulties.
    It's not even really apparent they have ASD now, but they do.
    I wasn't diagnosed until adulthood (age 45). Am female but it seems onset was around age 13 - 15 according to the assessment. So I wished of course that this had been picked up much, much earlier. Perhaps my life journey in all sorts of ways could have been different.
    It's not particularly easy to 'see' that I have ASD. But it is 'moderate autism'. I feel as if I've got worse over the years. That's just because I think a lot of anxiety started too which complicated matters and heightened some ASD traits I have.
    I have a very enriched life but it is complex too. There have been a number of significant events. 
    On a good day I think autism can be a 'gift' for me. At other times a real challenge. 
    Learning about Mindfulness, which has it's roots in Buddhist meditation - so staying in the present moment and learning a couple of meditation techniques has helped me a lot. 
  • Self diagnosis can often be the start point but hopefully also leads to an assessment by a suitably qualified professional. Whether you think you may have diabetes, cancer, ASD, mental health disorders and so on. 
    Due to the sheer amount of information available online, people research and self diagnose - one risk here is not only misdiagnosis and then not receiving the correct help but also panic and anxiety. 
    On the other hand regarding ASD - to self identify can suddenly make you feel as if the jigsaw fits together.
    ASD assessment though is complex plus lengthy and involves corroboration from family members, teachers, tutors, sometimes other medical professionals etc. A lot of information gathering.
    There are many differential diagnoses to be ruled out first or to be included. Particularly in adults - there's a lot to unpack through careful, skilled, comprehensive assessment, including blood tests (sometimes). There can often be comorbidity or trimorbidity etc
    The quality of assessment can also vary considerably depending on the credentials and knowledge of the assessors. 
    Further: diagnosis in female adults can also be quite difficult too. Here's one article on autism in women in case of interest:
    Regarding labels: sometimes it can be helpful to put a name to something because then one understands more about what you're dealing with. But only becomes usually helpful if this in a safe therapeutic environment with the correct level of professional support, intervention and guidance. That's when the healing starts through learning more about yourself and gaining new skills or in some cases medical intervention to help alleviate uncomfortable symptoms. 
    Whatever our problems/ challenges might be - a broken leg, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, ASD etc - we have a self responsibility and to others to ensure we seek out suitable professional help. 
    I know a couple of people with ASD who were diagnosed young (I knew them then too) and through receiving excellent support cope with adulthood very well indeed. Almost as if their position on the spectrum has changed and I suspect that can happen or fluctuates. But when they were children their presentation was quite severe and they faced lots of difficulties.
    It's not even really apparent they have ASD now, but they do.
    I wasn't diagnosed until adulthood (age 45). Am female but it seems onset was around age 13 - 15 according to the assessment. So I wished of course that this had been picked up much, much earlier. Perhaps my life journey in all sorts of ways could have been different.
    It's not particularly easy to 'see' that I have ASD. But it is 'moderate autism'. I feel as if I've got worse over the years. That's just because I think a lot of anxiety started too which complicated matters and heightened some ASD traits I have.
    I have a very enriched life but it is complex too. There have been a number of significant events. 
    On a good day I think autism can be a 'gift' for me. At other times a real challenge. 
    Learning about Mindfulness, which has it's roots in Buddhist meditation - so staying in the present moment and learning a couple of meditation techniques has helped me a lot. 
Children
No Data