Soft Skills as a Female Autistic

I've been mulling over this for a long time. In the workplace it's expected that the female/female identifying colleagues will take care of the soft skill aspects of being in a team. Team member has a birthday? Well you're expected to arrange flowers, cake, card, gift, lunch, dinner. Male members are not expected to do this kind of work. In my most recent position I have been open about being autistic yet all the time I am aware that the males get away with not giving a damn if it's someone's birthday or what a team member is going through, yet I'm expected to do the work of putting myself out because what? I have secondary sexual characteristics that in their eyes define me as woman/ nurturing/should care. I don't care unless I actually care about the person. It's stupid and unfair that in the NT world we have to survive in I'm expected to make this effort for some stupid sexist notion about what it means to be female. 

Parents
  • I hear you. Well then maybe just stop. My boss announced that she was pregnant the other day and I couldn't bring myself to pronounce the word "congratulations". I'm still stressed about it worrying that it was rude and I might lose my job! But she seems like she moved on. They will move on too. If you want the stupid sexist notions to stop then women need to stop accepting or living by them .. I find people appreciate honestly and authenticity a lot. 

• If you want the stupid sexist notions to stop then women need to stop accepting or living by them

What makes you think I accept or live by them? I don't. I say when I won't do something. It's the expectation that annoys me. I feel like there's a secret way to be female where they get some kind of dopamine hit by caring about stuff that I just don't care about. I guess this comes under "difficulties with social communication". It's a mystery to me why some skills would be considered gender specific. 

I don't agree that it's as simple as women need to stop accepting sexism for it to stop. It's way more nuanced than that. 

• I'm sorry if I misunderstood your thread. I didn't think that you accept to live by them, oe maybe I did? . Not sure. Anyway, not meant to bother you but more to encourage you in fighting the stereotype as you are already doing.

Reply Children