Struggling Teenager at Uni !

I'm the Grandma of a 19 year old. He's been diagnosed as dispraxic, dislexic & possible aspergers. He's struggled all his life , no friends at school , bullied etc. 

He's very, very interested in astronomy and has just started a foundation year in astronomy/physics. However he says he's getting stressed & struggling and is talking of leaving. It's everything he's ever wanted and I'm so sad for him. He's above average IQ and a good memory. 

I dread him leaving University as I've no idea what type of job he could do. I hate the thought of him doing a boring job when he was so looking forward to a career in astronomy. 

Could anyone give me any advice for him or suggestions for his future?

many thanks 

Parents Reply Children
  • PS  I had struggles at school and was bullied, too.  I had no friends.  I finally went to uni at 28 when I was a fair bit older than the others there and didn't feel the pressures I might have felt at 18 or 19.  At that age, there is so much pressure to join, to belong, to diversify with interests... and to not feel left out by your peers.  At 28, I just found my niche and stuck to it.  Didn't have a single friend in all of that time - but that wasn't what I was there for.  A few years might make a lot of difference to him, whereas now the pressures might be just a little too much to handle.