Could my son be autistic?

So me and my partner have recently noticed several things about our son (21months old) and are just looking for other parents opinions or general help from their experience.  

The most two obvious things we noticed is he doesn't respond to his name . However will respond if we say chocolate or something else he likes, but very rarely to his own name . His speech seems to have got worse over the last 4/ months aswell . The words he learnt mknths ago we cant get him to say alot of them anymore.  

I guess really we are just looking for any advice or past experiences to compare with. Are we doing the right thing when he doesn't respond to his name and we keep saying it over and over ? Should we seek help from the doctor?  

Any reply would be greatly appreciated . 

Thankyou 

Parents
  • Are we doing the right thing when he doesn't respond to his name and we keep saying it over and over ?

What is your aim when you carry out this action and is your behaviour achieving it? If no, then stop.

I wouldn't try and make your son do something that isn't natural to him just to fit in with the expectations of the majority. Both I and my husband are autistic, as is our LO. She rarely looks directly at us when we say her name but she will often smile when we do this, therefore, I know there's nothing to worry about re her hearing or understanding. If eye contact isn't something your son enjoys/has an interest in/finds comfortable etc why is it important to you that he looks at you?

Autistic individuals are first and foremost humans. Like most people, if your son isn't accepted for who he is and isn't encouraged to be himself then he's likely to have issues in the future, esp around his mental health. If he's loved and accepted, this will go along way towards his happiness and success.

The questions I'd be asking include:

• What will a formal diagnosis achieve? For example, does your son need additional support or can he function perfectly well as is?
    • Will any support the diagnosis may bring outweigh the potential issues that may arise from the diagnosis?

You may find this book helpful - https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9781847094926?gC=5a105e8b&gclid=CjwKCAjwgdX4BRB_EiwAg8O8HTQgv2P2nbSOj4w00F3q-lr4sgCCuMHawg4BTpQt7X6C5xrijXjh-xoCw-gQAvD_BwE

Also, it might be useful to know that the DSM manual used to diagnose autism as a 'disorder' and a 'disability' was used to diagnose homosexuality as a disorder when this behaviour illegal. Think back to the way that homosexuals were portrayed on tv back in the 60s/70s/80s. Autistic individuals face the same prejudices now, therefore, what you see in the media isn't representative of what life is like for autistic individuals. I was a late talker and refused to make eye contact as a child, as an adult most of my professional career has involved public speaking.

• Are we doing the right thing when he doesn't respond to his name and we keep saying it over and over ?

What is your aim when you carry out this action and is your behaviour achieving it? If no, then stop.

I wouldn't try and make your son do something that isn't natural to him just to fit in with the expectations of the majority. Both I and my husband are autistic, as is our LO. She rarely looks directly at us when we say her name but she will often smile when we do this, therefore, I know there's nothing to worry about re her hearing or understanding. If eye contact isn't something your son enjoys/has an interest in/finds comfortable etc why is it important to you that he looks at you?

Autistic individuals are first and foremost humans. Like most people, if your son isn't accepted for who he is and isn't encouraged to be himself then he's likely to have issues in the future, esp around his mental health. If he's loved and accepted, this will go along way towards his happiness and success.

The questions I'd be asking include:

• What will a formal diagnosis achieve? For example, does your son need additional support or can he function perfectly well as is?
    • Will any support the diagnosis may bring outweigh the potential issues that may arise from the diagnosis?

You may find this book helpful - https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/9781847094926?gC=5a105e8b&gclid=CjwKCAjwgdX4BRB_EiwAg8O8HTQgv2P2nbSOj4w00F3q-lr4sgCCuMHawg4BTpQt7X6C5xrijXjh-xoCw-gQAvD_BwE

Also, it might be useful to know that the DSM manual used to diagnose autism as a 'disorder' and a 'disability' was used to diagnose homosexuality as a disorder when this behaviour illegal. Think back to the way that homosexuals were portrayed on tv back in the 60s/70s/80s. Autistic individuals face the same prejudices now, therefore, what you see in the media isn't representative of what life is like for autistic individuals. I was a late talker and refused to make eye contact as a child, as an adult most of my professional career has involved public speaking.

Children
No Data