Verbal tick

Hi everyone, My seven year old has just started to do verbal ticks. He’s been doing it for about 3 months. He makes a grunting noise all the time. It sometimes gets so bad that when I listen to him read he wouldn’t breath because he has to make the noise. I have been wracking my brain about what and why it has started. We moved him and his sister schools and that was six months ago but nothing else has changed. He is incredibly happy at school, he’s always smiling, he always wants to go to school now, since he’s been at his new school he’s a different child the difference in my son is incredible he’s so happy and confident. The more content he seems the more sensory things are popping up.  I’ve spoken to school and they don’t hear it and I’ve spoken to the senco but I think she thinks if it’s not happening at school she’s not overly worried. I’ve mentioned it to him but he doesn’t even notice it. It doesn’t overly worry me (apart from the not breathing bit) but it’s the first time I’ve dealt with this. I don’t want to miss something. Any advice would be much appreciated.

• Hi my son is 12, he had facial tics and body swaying, the facial tics have calmed down but he has now got the cough tic drives me mad but I know he can’t help it, I also mentioned it to him I found it made it worse.

• Hello, I am afraid I don't have any helpful revelations or advice, just solidarity. I think this is quite common in children.  My now 6 year old has has had a tick for two years now. He does a sort of throat clearing sound like he's coughing up some flem. It's pretty disgusting. we took him to the doctor as we thought he might have something wrong with his throat, but he was physically fine. doctor said that it's quite common in children this age and will most probably go away. He has been picked on a bit at school about it, but the teachers nipped that in the bud, I try not to make too much of a thing about it and tell him if it make his body feel good, then do it and have practiced what to say to his peers if anyone makes a joke about it. Sometimes he does it when he's relaxing, so I don't think it's linked to anxiety. I am just hoping he will grow out of it, like sucking his thumb! 

• Hi DonnaT,

I'm sorry to hear that you are worried and have concerns about this change in your son's behaviour.  You may like to contact our Autism Helpline team who can provide you with information and advice . You can contact the team via telephone on 0808 800 4104 (Monday to Thursday 10am to 4pm, Friday 9am to 3pm). Please note that the Helpline is often very busy and it may take a couple of attempts before you get through to speak to an advisor.

I hope that is of help.

Kind regards,

Kerri-Mod

• Hello,

I don’t know if this is going to help.

At about your son’s age I joined the church choir. I had started to make noises that exercised my throat, because I liked the sensation of a warbling throat. Joining the choir gave me an outlet for it.

Maybe some sort of singing exercises will help?

If I’m completely off-track with that suggestion, you could try asking on twitter using the hash tag #AskingAutistics

You may also find some info at the following:

https://kidsspeak.info/category/therapies/

https://the-art-of-autism.com/category/parent-perspective/