Bullying gets worse as children with autism get older

Children with autism spectrum disorder (ASD) are more likely to experience bullying than children without ASD and this bullying gets worse with age, according to new research from Binghamton University, State University of New York. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/06/190612110129.htm

That would explain my situation . I was teased at prep school , but the real, nasty, verbal bullying started when I went to public school at 13. There were undoubtedly back then signs of what we now call either ASD or Asperger's .

It's sad that 44 years on from when I was at school this is still a problem. It makes me wonder what's being done to tackle the problem.

Parents
  • Few things on this, 

1) bullying of any kind gets worse as kids get older. As they get to teenage years it turns nasty where as younger children can be more accepting. 

2) teenage years are where the "social groups"  start and if you don't fit it can be merciless.

3) schools in the most part will tackle incidents and I do say in the most part as some schools don't at all. 

4) teachers and support staff are woefully under informed when It comes to autism and their lack of knowledge shows which then further influences the children they teach.

5) funding, to allow a school to educate it's staff and children and implement practices to stop bullying and provide support it costs money which the schools don't have

• Few things on this, 

1) bullying of any kind gets worse as kids get older. As they get to teenage years it turns nasty where as younger children can be more accepting. 

2) teenage years are where the "social groups"  start and if you don't fit it can be merciless.

3) schools in the most part will tackle incidents and I do say in the most part as some schools don't at all. 

4) teachers and support staff are woefully under informed when It comes to autism and their lack of knowledge shows which then further influences the children they teach.

5) funding, to allow a school to educate it's staff and children and implement practices to stop bullying and provide support it costs money which the schools don't have

Children
No Data