Help getting a referral

Hello I have no idea where to go now. I have just had a visit from CAMHS who have told me they can't refer my son for an assessment for asd as the pathway is closed. They do think there is asd issues and sensory issues but say they can't refer him. He's 11 years old and it's taken 4 years to get this far and now nothing. The school also believe he has asd. I really have no idea what to do, my son does need help and wondered if anyone else has had this problem. I want to get him the help he needs and deserves can you help please? 

Parents
  • The pathway is closed? What on earth does this mean? That no more kids can be diagnosed? This system seems to be getting worse and worse.

I agree with the above comment about going back to your gp. I wouldn't be afraid of kicking up a bit of a fuss.

I really hope you get the help you and your son need.

• That's exactly what it means! I couldn't believe it myself it's taken 4 years to get this far and now I get told sorry nothing we can do

• I wish I could be of more help to you. I think this is awful. I know services are over stretched but people with conditions like autism make up about 1% of the population so how can they be so full up as to be turning children down? 

Imagine if parents were told that children with poor vision couldn't have glasses because the demand was too high or a child with a physical disability couldn't have a wheel chair because they were too full for them to be assessed.

I feel this issue needs far more media attention and something seriously needs to be done to improve the situation. I feel it is hugely letting down autistic people and their families.

• I wish I could be of more help to you. I think this is awful. I know services are over stretched but people with conditions like autism make up about 1% of the population so how can they be so full up as to be turning children down? 

Imagine if parents were told that children with poor vision couldn't have glasses because the demand was too high or a child with a physical disability couldn't have a wheel chair because they were too full for them to be assessed.

I feel this issue needs far more media attention and something seriously needs to be done to improve the situation. I feel it is hugely letting down autistic people and their families.

Children
No Data