Tears over my son

I'm a parent who has a son age 3 who has recently been diagnosed on the Autistic spectrum. Today he went on his first outing with his mainstream nursery (my son being the only Autistic one in the class)  The amount of dirty looks me and my son were getting was very upsetting I felt like screaming 'He can't help it, he's autistic) I burst into tears in front of his teacher (feeling quite embarrassed now) and shortly left. I feel so alone at the moment and I'm just reaching out to anyone who has problems with other people's ignorance and how do you cope with there judgements. Thanks for reading x

Parents
  • Judgement is the hardest thing I've found through my life. I've only just found out I'm autistic but the amount of times I've heard the line "you're so weird" in my life is unreal.

It amazes me people can give looks to a 3 year old though. How can you judge someone who is 3? Out of interest what was your son doing for people to be giving him looks?

I don't have children but you'll find plenty on here that understand how you feel as a parent.

• sorry to hear that some losers out there say 'you're so weird' The outing was at a church and they were doing arts and crafts all the other children were sat still doing as they were told, but my ray of sunshine was running everywhere, around the alter, and through the whole church, he likes to eat play dough too so he kept running back and forth eating that. My son has a fascination with doors so he ran through as many as a could. While I tried keeping up with him I felt the looks on people's faces were basically saying ' control your son's you see my son is not good at listening to instructions.....he's like a bird he just wants to be free to fly (or I should say 'run without stopping in this case)

• I get that churches are not a playground but with or without autism, he is 3. What is wrong with a 3 year old running? He wasn't hurting anyone.

Was it parents of other children or was it passers by? If it was parents, have you considered asking the nursery to organise some autism awareness at your nursery, particularly for the parents. So they can learn the difference between naughty and autism.

• Yes I totally agree there!

Reply Children
No Data