Stimming

Hi

My son is always tapping and drumming and chanting football songs. Is this a form of stimming? He has recently been diagnosed with asd.

Thanks

Parents
  • I'm fairly newly diagnosed and not sure exactly what is definitely stimming or not but I have these traits. I sing small parts of songs over and over again. Sometimes it can be the same line over and over or sometimes it's not even the words and just the orchestration... I think it is possibly a form of stimming. It feels necessary and good, it not a choice, it just happens... I manage to control it around others who aren't aware of my diagnosis as I've been masking for many years but when I'm at home or with my parents then it happens and I'm okay with that. When I'm masking around people who don't know then my "stimming" is less vocal and more movement based... I don't know whether the vocal stuff comes under echolalia... I have a tendency to repeat words, phrases, sounds, etc too...

• I'm fairly newly diagnosed and not sure exactly what is definitely stimming or not but I have these traits. I sing small parts of songs over and over again. Sometimes it can be the same line over and over or sometimes it's not even the words and just the orchestration... I think it is possibly a form of stimming. It feels necessary and good, it not a choice, it just happens... I manage to control it around others who aren't aware of my diagnosis as I've been masking for many years but when I'm at home or with my parents then it happens and I'm okay with that. When I'm masking around people who don't know then my "stimming" is less vocal and more movement based... I don't know whether the vocal stuff comes under echolalia... I have a tendency to repeat words, phrases, sounds, etc too...

Children
No Data