Any coping strategies in secondary school?

Hi, I’m new to this community so apologies if this is already answered somewhere. Has anyone found anything particular that helps their secondary school child get through the school day more easily? My daughter is 11 and so stressed out about school. We have given in to giving her lifts to/from school to ease the anxiety but sitting in a classroom where she finds it hard to process information quickly enough or remember what she should be doing is so tiring. Time out would help but she doesn’t want people to see her as different. Any ideas gratefully received! Thank you.

Parents
  • I am new too. I fought hard to make it as comfortable as possible for my son to attend secondary school. Creating a daily timetable illustrated with cartoons of different subjects hour by hour allowed him to more pleasantly foresee what was to happen and when the activity would be completed. I do not know if my advice can help you but for my son it was quite useful to reduce the stress and fatigue of staying in class a little. Naturally in case of sensory overload or stress the solution to go out (in the bathroom!) To decompress was always the most effective solution.

• I still use visual displays and fun stickers etc to help me manage my days ~ it’s a great habit to get into if it works, so it’s worth a try.

Reply Children
No Data